'05 YZ-250 seat height (from ground to seat at the pegs)

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
I just got back into off-road riding after 13 years (got my son riding, bought a '05 TT-R250 to ride with him).

He is doing well so I promised him a YZ-85 this fall, and planned on a new YZ-250 for me (my last bike was a '89 YZ-250).

I'm 5'6". In reading the specs I see the YZ-250 listed as a 39 inch seat height! :ohmy: Whoa, thats high. I recall the '89 as around 37-38 inches and wasn't too difficult to deal with.

Are the new ones that much taller or are they measuring to the highest point????

I'd be interested to know what the height (seated rider) is from the ground to a point above the pegs.

Replay

Apr 17, 2003
DLHamblin said:
I just got back into off-road riding after 13 years (got my son riding, bought a '05 TT-R250 to ride with him).

He is doing well so I promised him a YZ-85 this fall, and planned on a new YZ-250 for me (my last bike was a '89 YZ-250).

I'm 5'6". In reading the specs I see the YZ-250 listed as a 39 inch seat height! :ohmy: Whoa, thats high. I recall the '89 as around 37-38 inches and wasn't too difficult to deal with.

Are the new ones that much taller or are they measuring to the highest point????

I'd be interested to know what the height (seated rider) is from the ground to a point above the pegs.

I noticed that Honda lists the CR250 at 37" I measured my friends '05 CR250 at 37.5" and i measured a new CR250 at a local shop at 38" .... i didn't even look at the YZ250's after seeing on Yamaha's web site they was listed at 39". Then i was looking at a used '05 YZ250 it it didn't seem that tall... anyways I wound up buying it and I measured it at 37.5 " the same as my '99 KX250

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
They all measure in different places, but it's been my experience that Honda CRs feel the lowest out of all of them. Yamahas do tend to have a bit taller seat height but the bikes feel small/cramped for tall riders compared to others..

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Replay said:
I noticed that Honda lists the CR250 at 37" I measured my friends '05 CR250 at 37.5" and i measured a new CR250 at a local shop at 38" .... i didn't even look at the YZ250's after seeing on Yamaha's web site they was listed at 39". Then i was looking at a used '05 YZ250 it it didn't seem that tall... anyways I wound up buying it and I measured it at 37.5 " the same as my '99 KX250

Thanks, thats what I hoped! :nod:

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Camstyn said:
They all measure in different places, but it's been my experience that Honda CRs feel the lowest out of all of them. Yamahas do tend to have a bit taller seat height but the bikes feel small/cramped for tall riders compared to others..

Our dealer sells both Yamaha's and Honda's, I'll have to sit on both then and decide which fits me better!

Matt Fisher

Apr 17, 2002
I'm 5'6" with only a 30" inseam. I rode a friend's YZ450 and his KX250F a couple weeks ago. Both were too tall, the Yammy maybe a bit taller, but neither was difficult to manage. At my height, the wife's KX100 fits me perfect- but it's worth it to 1 peg it at stops and have a real bike. Go for the YZ, you'll be fine.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Matt Fisher said:
I'm 5'6" with only a 30" inseam. I rode a friend's YZ450 and his KX250F a couple weeks ago. Both were too tall, the Yammy maybe a bit taller, but neither was difficult to manage. At my height, the wife's KX100 fits me perfect- but it's worth it to 1 peg it at stops and have a real bike. Go for the YZ, you'll be fine.

It would be interesting to know what Ricky Carmichaels mechanic does to set his bike up. He is just barely 5'6" and doesn't appear to strain much to reach the ground.

Once set up for my weight the YZ should be fine from what I see. If I had to it looks like I could take an inch out of the seat height (seats thin as it is so I doubt any more could come out).

Top Bottom