'05 YZ fork springs have no preload, what's the deal?

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I took my 05 YZ250 forks apart for servicing and noticed that the springs have no preload at all. In fact, they have a space of about 3-4mm when the damping rod is fully extended. This means that the fork has to compress that 3-4mm until the slack is taken up before the spring is even being compressed. When the wheel leaves the ground the forks drop out and then when fork is compressed again the springs slam into the spacers inside. This can't be good. I called Race Tech and the guy confirmed my findings and recommended puting spacers in to take up the slack and add a few mm of preload to the springs.
Anybody else notice this? Surely KYB would have some reason for doing it. Any thoughts?

mop

Mar 28, 2003
KAYABA claims that this set up is intentional and due to testing results in the US..........also not enough preload on the chamber spring.....Adding preload to both will give different results, but the stock set-up is not a mistake, rather the result of testing, so somewhere, some rider said it was GOOD....personally, I don't like it....

HATE

Mar 18, 2004
Just had my 05 125 forks serviced and my suspension guy
puts in an alum spacer on top of the spring to take up the
play and it preloads the spring alittle. This seems to hold the
fork up alittle and stops the springs from banging around.

Top Bottom