'05 YZ250 handling problem question

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
I was reconsidering buying an '05YZ250 after I read a few articles in TWMX about the bike not being able to lay over into a turn & the front end washing out in high speed sweepers, and not being able to turn into rutted corners.
Has any one experienced this problem? Is it fixable by suspension setup, or are different offset triple clamps needed? Thanks....

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
It doesnt wash out it drifts wide and doesnt want to hold a rut. Its a little strange but between my Tag Matrix clamp (which did the most for the turning), and my Fat Max Racing suspension, my bike is incredible.

G92Joe

Apr 7, 2001
What's different about the TAG clamp? Offset? or is it just the top clamp? So the bike does drift anymore? How's it handle in sand?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
Joe, I ride all the time in sand, that's all there is on Long Island(check out my gallery). The bike is great in the sand, the low end power always keeps the bike moving. I usually start up in third and drop the clutch to get going. As for the bike's handling problems that you mention, a suspension revalve will cure most of your problems. I'm 6'0 215 so every bike I get always needs springs and a revalve. Knowing this, I don't give much credit to bike reviews about suspension. I came off a CRF250 and the yz250 will cut a tighter turn then my crf and my CRF had a full revalve done to it. I don't know anything about off-set tripple clamps but I rember the CRF450 riders praising how the offset clamps improved the hadling of their bikes.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
G92Joe said:
What's different about the TAG clamp? Offset? or is it just the top clamp? So the bike does drift anymore? How's it handle in sand?
Yes they are offset a little. In the sand the bike is awesome!!! Tons of power.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
I think TWMX is full of contradictions and wouldn't trust anything they say. My 05 handles fine. It handles better than my 03 did because I can notice the weight difference making it easier to throw around. It is a stable/neutral handling machine. It doesn't cut the tightest nor is it scary at speed. It is right in the middle. I gives back what you put in.

Toby259

Jan 5, 2005
Rider sag on the 2005 frame is more sensitive than the previous years steel framed bikes. Set it at around 105mm, it makes a big difference in the cornering. Also check the fork tube height. Some of them come flush with the caps at the top of the triple clamps. Moving the tubes 1-2mm at a time makes a big difference too. It may take some time, but once you get these settings dialed in, the bike handles awesome. Also throw away the front tire unless you are riding on hard MX tracks, anywhere else it plain sucks.

Top Bottom