05 YZ250 harsh forks

teknition

Apr 3, 2005
I was wondering if any other 05 YZ250 owners here have noticed the forks on their bike are very harsh over braking bumps/ small chop? The forks on my bike are beating my wrists and hands badly and it seems like the initial movement of the forks is very sticky. I have greased under the dust seals and made sure the forks were aligned in the tripple clamps and axle properly and played with various clicker settings but none of it has helped. :bang:

I have read in alot of MX forums on the net that the design of the new forks is a bad one because they are copys of the showa design but in order to get around the patent on the showa's ,they changed a few internals and as a result they basically screwed them up.

all input is appreciated :)

teknition

Apr 3, 2005
I posted it all over the MX forums..some people may not read certain forums or even know of them so i figured i would cover all the bases ;)

Victorylap

Sep 3, 2004
I started a thread here some months back and there has been some great input. the thread is called 2005 YZ250 Set up and tuning check it out. Let me know what you find that works for you.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
As far as the fork stiction goes mine did the same thing until I changed the outer fork tube oil. Before the oil change I tried everything. :| The oil change was the fix for the stiction, but it took the MX-Tech treatment took solve the valving issues.

The oil I used and still use in the outer tubes is Mobil 1 5W 20w. :cool:

teknition

Apr 3, 2005
Thanks for your posts guys :-)
victorylap- I'll have a look at the thread you started and maybe get some more info from it.

steve125- Ive been looking into a revalve from a company close to me that is supposed to do pretty good work as well and i think thats the route I'm going to go with. when you changed the fork oil, did you do the inner cartridge oil as well or just the outer?

It sure is aggrivating to shell out all that cash on a brand new bike and have crappy fork action not to mention days and days of time on the net to see why.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
At the time I just changed the outer.

The forks have some issues that were easily fixed by MX-Tech. The main springs have little to a negative preload, that was fixed with a spacer. Along with ICS was also preloaded for a better cartridge bleed and full damper rod extension. The mid and base valves were re-done.

The forks now rides higher, are plusher in the small bumps, have a firmer but more controlled mid to bottom and have less a springy rebound feel. They feel really planted.........nice

The MX-Tech shock is even better than the forks :cool:

teknition

Apr 3, 2005
thanks for your input steve. im going to get the suspension done soon ...there is an mx-tech in waterloo which is only about 2 hours drive from here .

desec

May 25, 2005
I bought my 8 year old a KX60 5 mths ago.
The frame broke after 2 mths and was replaced by Kawasaki. It has now broken again.
Has anyone had similiar problems???

daver551

Jun 14, 2005
05 YZ250 fork issues

I have the same exact problem with my forks. I rode the bike bike one time and was not happy. I had the forks revalved and the upper compresion spring changed by a company that does the suspensions for one of the big Yamaha race teams, I got them back and the problem was not corrected. The forks were slightly improved but I could not dial in the bike. I'm sending them back to be redone. When I initially spoke with the owner of the company he said that he was familiar with the problem and could correct it. They better get it right the second time.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
I'm in the market for a new bike and it will be a 2-stroke. I wull probably be buying a leftover 05 and the only thing I don't like a bout the YZ is the suspension. I havn't ridden the 05 but hear there is a lot of problems with the front fork. Do you guys think i should wait for an 06 or a revalve will fix the 05.

Erik

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…