05 YZF Slip on Exhausts? Advice on what to buy

Nalgene

Jan 17, 2006
Ok price is no problem.. I am looking to Keep the bike fairly quiet or a lil louder than stock is ok, but im not looking for full out Moto loud.. And a performance plus is nice.. Weight is not an option, I dont see my self buying Ti to save a pound or less..

So far I kinda have my eyes set on the FMF Q2.

I am still learning how to ride a dirt bike ( 23yo.. about time I threw a leg over a bike )

Why a new exhaust over the stock one? Cause within 30 mins of my first ride i found 2nd gear and rocked the twist to far back and stood the bike on end.. I would like to thank my fox chest protector for the protection from the rocks.. The bike faired worse.. I was able to bend the exhaust back to a semi straight shape. I used a lil JB weld to seal up the cracks in the alum.. =) Oopps... Eh.. no bike shops were going to be open the next day and damn it.. I wanted to get back on the bike and ride.. so that worked for a quick fix.

But now i need to replace it.. and i was planning on upgrading the exhaust anyhow.. just not this early..

I have looked at the FMF's and White bros Dr D and Power pipes..
I never found any magazine shoot outs or Charts on the exhausts websites.. So word of mouth is what i will have to go by..

Nalgene

Jan 17, 2006
umm

Someone pls...

I mean some of you must own a FMF or Pro circuit / CMF / White Bros Pipes.. It doesnt have to be on a 450yzf.

Just Are you happy with your purchase does the pipe deliver what it said it would.. How is it holding up, does it feel cheaply made??

qtrmiler

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 26, 2000
I ran the FMF Q not Q2 and my 525 ran like a 250f at best it was quiet but I came home took it off and installed a stock system off an sx and added a moto billet tip. As quiet and much better performance. Don't waste money like I did on the FMF Q series may as well install an xr250 muffler on it you'll lose a bunch of power to drop the noise.

Dubach's Dr. D and Big Gun evo series reasonably priced and have the options of adding quiet core and spark arrestor if your planning some offroading in the trees. mx only would have to be the White Bros. carbon pro II but like you said don't need the light weight for the added cost and their noisy too boot. I have a White Bros carbon sitting in the garage for mx only and run the Big Gun for offroading. Dr. D's system would probably have the most R&D done overall for your yammy since it's Doug's factory bike preference I'm sure he busted his arse on it's testing before releasing it to John Q Public

05 ktm 525exc sx w/pro-moto arrestor (Akrapovic race)
05 crf450r Big Gun w/quiet insert (white bros. race)

Last edited:

Top Bottom