06 or 05 cab best for my 06 CRF250

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
I just bought a new 06 CRF250 and have been told by some riders to take the carb off my 05 and put it on the 06. But I have a JD jetting kit and the boys there say to just put the kit in the 06 carb and all is well.... So what should I do :bang:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I run the stock carb. I am near sea level and use the JD red needle in the position recomended by the kit(I forget the position). I run the fat o-ring, shaved 2mm off the ap diaphragm, bumped the pilot up 2 steps and am now at a 195 main. I run PMB quiet caps w/96db inserts. I am very happy with how it runs. I do not know of anyone with an 05 carb on an 06. I would try installing the jd kit in the 06 carb and see how it runs. Good luck!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rather than spend $500 US for a carb of dubious value, your money and effort would be better spent putting some decent gas in the bike and learning how to jet for it.

The morale of the story is :

If you can't make a CRF250R run great with the stock carb, good fuel and proper jetting, it's not the bike or the carb that is the problem. ;)

Last edited:

T-Bone

~SPONSOR~
Feb 10, 2001
My 05 runs prefect !!!
And I don't need to buy a carb if I swap the two . but I have to sell the 05 ASAP so if I sell it then find out that the best trick is to put on the 05 carb on .... Well it will be too late and I just don't have the time it takes to jet a bike try it then swap carbs and try it then put the JD jetting in and try it just to find out what some one must already know.
But I do know that there were more than a few pro racers in 06 running 05 carbs

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
What Rich is saying is that proper jetting is more important than the carb itself, at least in this case. If I were you I would go that route. Either carb, if not jetted properly, won't make you happy. The carb from your 05 will most likely not be jetted properly for your 06. There were changes to the porting in 06.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom