06 WR250F, Trailtech or fix wheel sensor?

VTNewb

Feb 18, 2008
Hey Guys,
Just traded in my 96 250EXC towards a 06 WR250F that was a consignment. The dealer is one of my good trials riding buddies and the WR owner is a peripheral aquantience. The bike has one problem outside a history of excellent service records. The wire to the wheel sensor was apparently twisted, and while I can't see any breaks in the wire, does not pick up data anymore.

Dillema, Yamaha sells the whole bundle of wheel sensor + wire for about $120, or I can get a trailtech from the dealer for $80. What do I do?

B

biglou

If it were me, I'd try to repair the wire. But I'm a DIYer with electrical knowledge and a bunch of "stuff" lying around to effect repairs like this.

VTNewb

Feb 18, 2008
biglou said:
If it were me, I'd try to repair the wire. But I'm a DIYer with electrical knowledge and a bunch of "stuff" lying around to effect repairs like this.

I'm getting my masters in mechanical engineering. Electricity is strange and confusing. :coocoo:

I think what you say is probably the best at least initially, tinker with it to see if I can get it to work.

I figure the trailtech has to keep track of wheel speed, and it's probably much more invasive than the WR.

B

biglou

The way I see it, you can't really break it any worse, right?! I thought odo's were cable-driven? Then again, I haven't paid that much attention to them in recent years.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
im an electrician, im not familair with this sensor. if you tinker with an get it to work make sure you do a few things if your gonna keep it. im not a big fan of butt splices but you can use those or you can get some that have a male and female end on them with a rubber jacket on the outside. you can find them on various parts of the ignition on some bikes. if you do use butt splices make sure you use heatshrink on each idividual buttsplice. then if you can heat shrink them all together as one. maybe some loom tape after that. mud and water will find its way in and it will short out.

just like biglou said, you can break it any worse so why not?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I would go with the stock Yamaha part.

The actual wheel sensor is a very simple magnetic reed switch. If you can mount the sensor close to the magnet and make the electrical connections to the speedometer just about any sensor should work.

The two problems you are going to have if you went with the Trail Tech sensor are:
1) Mounting 2) electrical connection.

I suspect that the Yamaha sensor fastens to the fork in a manner specific to Yamaha and the Trail Tech will be different. The Trail Tech sensor may come with a bracket that will allow you to mount it but it will never be as clean and secure as the Yamaha mount.

The biggest issue will be making the electrical connections. I would be very surprised if the Yamaha and Trail Tech sensors used matching connectors. To use the Trail Tech sensor you will need to cut the connector off your old sensor, cut the connector off the Trail Tech and then splice the old connector to the new Trail tech.

For an extra $40, I would just go with Yamaha OEM right at the start. You may spend $80 on the Trail Tech and then spend another $120 when you give up making that work.

Rod

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom