johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
Wanting to know from all you YZ owners out there if any of you have had a problem with your throttle sticking @ 1/2 throttle.
At 9 hrs on bike (mostly MX) coming out of a corner throttle hangs half open on straight away (thank god). I pull clutch in and hit kill button. Start snapping throttle back and forth and all seems fine. Check cable route and nothing is visually wrong or obstructing. I go to start bike and it fires @ half throttle screaming!! Take bike back to truck and start tinkering. Pull off throttle, inspect,lube,ect. Cable seems fine. Fire bike up and all is fine until I hit whoop section, throttle hangs half open. Take bike back to truck and start messing with cable. I notice up @ the cable adjustment on throttle there is excess play. It looks like the slack in cable is pinching between the wheel that cable routs through and the housing. I adjust slack out and head back out and all seemed fine until now!!

Now at 15hrs on bike I come out of corner and blurp throttle to clear small double. Throttle hangs @ half throttle and launches me!!! I land on face of another jump some 60ft away with legs flying everywhere and yz screaming like a banshee. Thank god I am not hurt, just scared ****-less!!!! I roll bike back to truck and immediately look at slack in housing. Make another small adjustment and head back out. Hit whoop section three turns in and it hangs again. Take back and start fiddling. I find nothing wrong, cable is perfect in all areas, throttle tube and housing is new, nothing wrong. The bike was fine for six hours of riding time in between hang ups. No crashes, never been in carb for nothing, all is stock and new. I call dealer and talk to the shop manager and tell him whats going on. He wants to look at it and asks for me to bring it in. They go through the bike and find nothing!!! Said that cable adjustment on throttle cable was to tight (I admited to doing that) and that idle screw was turned to far in. Said that my bike really doesn't need to idle and they backed it out. Said that idle screw doesn't actually touch slide no more. Said it touches some actuator arm or something and that in turn touches slide for idling adjustment. Never had one of these carbs apart so I really do not know. Said it looked like this "actuator arm" could of been hanging up slide, but wasn't sure. Charged me $70.00 for all this. I said I had no problem paying it, but if this did not fix it this problem that they would be fully responsible from here on out, they agreed.

Now, I am getting ready to ride bike again. My confidence is really low in this thing. I am first going to go through whoop section about 50 times to see if problem still exists. There is a straight away right after that I am confident about getting bike shut down in.
Just looking for a little help in getting "my balls" back under me and if anyone has any advise in what the problem may be.
Not very confident in what dealer told me!!!!!!

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
They said they pulled apart and inspected everything. They said that they did look for "burrs" of some sort of "factory defect". So they say!!!!

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
My 01 had a recall for this. I never got around to fixing it until...it stuck on me and launched me into a tree pegged in 2nd. No time to do anything but hold on. I was lucky, the bike took the hit.

In the 01's, it was the round disc that the cable went around in the throttle housing.

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
Has anyone heard "your bike really doesn't need to idle" theory. I did turn idle screw in 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make bike idle. Just like for my bike to idle, did not think anything wrong in that. I had an 02 YZ, and a 05 YZ that I turned idle up on and had no issues. Just curious!!!!!! I adjusted when bike was new. Put 9 hrs on it before it started acting up.

B

biglou

Yeah, supposedly you get a touch more snap off-idle throttle response. I got mine set to idle for 5-10 seconds when warm before it dies out. I got tired of not being able to put my goggles on without the bike dying. And not having that little bit of throttle response wasn't keeping me from winning any championships or anything. That and some people were making fun of me.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
johnwilhite said:
Has anyone heard "your bike really doesn't need to idle" theory. I did turn idle screw in 1/4 to 1/2 turn to make bike idle. Just like for my bike to idle, did not think anything wrong in that. I had an 02 YZ, and a 05 YZ that I turned idle up on and had no issues. Just curious!!!!!! I adjusted when bike was new. Put 9 hrs on it before it started acting up.

Bikes used strictly for MX are often setup this way; but since I use mine for a variety of reasons I have it setup to idle (have always done that on my YZ's from 1987 on) and never had an issue.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
half throttle raises a question to me. Perhaps the needle is bent and hanging up on the way back down into the main jet holder/spray bar.

karter55

Nov 16, 2005
You also might want to check and see if the vent hoses from the carb are getting plugged/pinched somehow. That will cause exactly what you've described :yikes: :yikes:

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
I also have an 06 with no problems and also have adjusted my bike to ldle, doesn't everybody? The bike dosn't need to idle??? WTF!! I 've never heard of that $@#%!! Well anyway you might want to test in a straitaway instead of the whoops, good luck!

Chris.

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
The track, that I will be at, whoop section isn't that long (15-20 whoops). I feel that it will need to be jarred around some in some rough stuff to see if I can get it to act up. Just not feeling ballsy enough to jump quite yet. Thanks all for your reply's, keep'm com'n.

chrismxer

Aug 17, 2005
You should strap a bunch of pillows to you a$$ and do some hell mary's!! :laugh: Make sure you wear your neck brace and throw some holy water on your throttle!!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Yea i have a problem with my throttle sticking it's called whiskey throttle when I get tired on the 250. :)

Mechanically no I have not had any problems with mine sticking.

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
I recently had this problem on my 2003 KX 250. I took the entire carb apart twice, and partially apart another two times, and it still stuck mid throttle. I had checked the twist grip throttle and disassembled it too, and it still did it. Finally, I figured out that the twist grip had been somehow pushed onto the handlebars just a little too much (funny because I hadn't crashed the bike in a long time...knock on wood). It was not sticking bad enough to really make it stick when the bike is sitting still on the stand, but enough right around mid throttle to stick and scare the heck out of me a couple of times. I slid the throttle tube out a little on the bars and retightened it. Everything seems good now. Hope this helps. -Todd

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
I had the same problem with a 00cr125, turned out to be the cable routing. It took so long to find out... At a certain point in the turning radius, the cable was pinched between the cdi and the fork tube. when that happened I lost total confidence in my bike. You feel like you are riding a rolling cofin. Good luck!

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
the bike doesnt need to idle?..........soooo what happens when you hit a big jump and the front end is a little high so you pull in the clutch and tap the brake .....the motor dies? no thanks i'll have an idle

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
O.K. all. Just returned from ride today. All is not well. Went through whoops about 10 times and then on about #11 she hung up again. Pulled clutch in and hit kill button. Pushed back to truck and called the dealer. They said to leave it hung up and bring back to them and they will tear down again. Funny thing now is it's not 1/2 throttle, it's about 1/4 throttle now. Anyway, it's still hanging up.

yamahuh

Oct 23, 2005
I had the exact same problem on an 01 YZ 250. They recalled the throttle wheel. The cable guide was too narrow allowing the cable to bind in the housing. I took the cover off the housing and blipped the throttle (with the engine off) until I saw it hang......then I new I had solved the problem.

Keep two fingers on the clutch!!!!!!

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
Just recieved some info from a friend that is babysitting my bike at the shop. The shop hasn't called yet but this from him as he helped dismantle bike. The needle is catching on the way back down into the main jet/spray bar area in the bowl. Said that the hole for the needle in the slide is off center and not lining up. Said it is some sort of manufacturing error. They put a call into Yamaha to see what the next step is. Hope this is it. I feel my confidence rising.

johnwilhite

Nov 21, 2002
Got confirmation from shop that slide is defective. Yamaha corp. is sending new parts (slide,needle, and clip) to shop at no charge to me. They call it "Goodwill" or something like that since this is something that can cause injury. Everything is good and I am glad they are taking care of this. Shop will inspect new slide and compare it to old before installing. If everything checks out they will install and keep bike a couple more days riding to see if problem is fixed. I sure hope this is it. To all you other 06 yz 250 owners, I hope this is only a rare occurance, but be careful!!!!!

Top Bottom