'07 WR 250F not staying in rutted turns

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
I have a real tough time keeping my WR 250F in rutted turns. It wants to stand up and go straight. My technique has been judged by Steve Hatch, with whom I'm training, to be good so I think it is either in the suspension on geometry of the bike. My setup should also be about as good as I can get it stock. I'm running 103 mm's of sag, have 46 kg springs in the fork (I weigh 203 lbs.), and also run an additional 10 mm of oil in the fork. This bike has a 290 kit with Stage 1 Hot Cams and a WB XCR exhaust. I am running fork compression one more than stock, rebound 2 more than stock, shock compression at stock for both high and low settings, and shock rebound one more than stock.

I am coming off an '06 CRF450R so I would like it to stick in corners similar to that bike. Any help would be appreciated.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Hey BigBird,

It's been awful quiet in here lately hasn't it?

Here's my 2Cents worth, Its probably geometry thats keeping your WR from sticking in the ruts!. Im not sure of the WR's turning prowess to begin with but you can try raising the fork in the clamps about 1/4" at a time. If you find that raising the forks helps, try to find a sweet spot then fine tune with clickers.

Your bike sounds like a beast but why the switch? at 203lb the 450 would be my weapon of choice!

PS. Did you get any flooding?

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Thanks for the response. That has been my diagnosis as well. I just wanted to get some outside perspective.

I still have my 450R and a 450X, and have ridden the bigger bikes for years. I just wanted to try something different. My criteria was a lighter bike, electric start, with low end power similar to the bigger bikes for exiting turns under power. Overall, the experiment has been great. The Yamaha has met most of my expectations, it just doesn't turn a well as the Honda's. I guess I'm spoiled, but that is what I'm aiming for.

BTW, I was puzzled by the flooding comment, then I noticed I haven't changed my profile. I now live in No. AZ. No flooding here, but a little snow...

Last edited:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Try more high speed compression. It helps keep the rear riding a little higher. My YZ liked having the forks raised in the triple clamps, as mentioned already.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Can't help you out there. It may be your weight or as mentioned, your settings. Mine (2003) seems to be a rocket sled on rails in the corners, as compared to my YZ250, which I am still dialing in after having Jeremy at MX-Tech redo the 'spenders. I'm real close on the YZ! I never touched a thing on my WR, right off the truck at the dealer. I'm at 165 lbs. (give or take, depending on time of year, hehe). I'll have to try out a Honder one of these days and see if there is that much of a difference in the attitude in the corners.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
Well, thanks to all. I moved my fork up 2.5 mm's in the triple clamp. What a difference a silly millimeter or two makes. The bike now rails in the corners. Couple the new cornering capability with the very good suspension, and this bike is now a great woods weapon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom