1 hard landing on my head.....new helmet????

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I took a very hard hit to the head awhile back and it really rung my bell. I was following my riding buddy down a steep hill that we had traversed many times. Unfortunately the bottom of the hill washed out to the point of being drastically undercut since the last time we went down it. My buddy was lucky and missed the drop off by about six inches. I was trying not to follow in his path so I was over slightly but right on his tail. By the time I saw the drop off there was nothing I could do but try to gun it. As bad luck would have it, the ground was too slick and I couldn't get enough traction to clear the drop off, so I went straight down. After the front wheel hit, my head hit and then to add insult to injury my bike landed on my head also. My buddy new I was going to go over and dropped his bike while it was still running, before he even saw the wreck. He was afraid I wouldn't be getting up at all. He said it folded me up like an accordian (sp). I got up pretty quick but was real dizzy. My head hurt for about three days and I couldn't think straight for a couple of days.

I know everyone says to buy a new helmet after a crash like this, but the helmet doesn't even have a full season on it. Is it imperative that I buy a new helmet? I've been riding with it a lot since the crash but luckily I haven't tested it out since. I keep telling myself to get a new one but I don't want to spend the cash.

Neal

Last edited:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
What's more expensive a new helmet? Or a lifetime suply of adult diapers, a wheel chair, and a live-in nurse for the rest or your life?

Seriously though I had the chance to talk to A rep from Shoei and he explained to me that a 1 metre drop on cement is MORE than enough to wreck a helmet. There was some really good threads with a webpage and a story you should read. I think it's called how my HJC helemet saved my life check it out!

You should get a new one:( I know it sucks I bought a 500 dollar shoei and wrecked it in less that a season!

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
THANKS

I will definately be getting a new helmet. I checked out the thread you sent me to and was horrified after checking out the inside of my helmet. I had never taken the pads out to inspect the foam before. It has cracks every where and even a few indentations. I guess it is totally shot. I'll be ordering a new one today or Monday.

CanadianRidr, your a real life saver.

Neal

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
What we do is instead of spending huge amounts on Shoei's & Arai's etc, is go for cheaper models like the HJC's. My husband had a Shoei but after a few crashes, he knew he should throw it away, but because of the amount spent on it, wore it longer than I was happy with.
The helmets still need to be DOT & Snell approved, but we won't go for the top of the range models.
Sorry to hear about the crash, but glad you're okay.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Hey MonkeyButt, good choice. I don't know if you remember reading the story about Cobrakid and his severe crash and head injury. He laid in a hospital bed in a comma for 2.5 weeks and then spent about 4 months going through rehab.

CanadianRidr is right, what's more important, your future life or spending the rest of your life like a vegatable?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Monkey Butt
I took a very hard hit to the head awhile back and it really rung my bell
There's the key -- sounds like a mild concussion. If that happens, the helmet has done it's job.

Age is another factor. My brother just took a hard one (still can't remember how he got back to the rig) and I know his lid is newer than mine. After seven years with the same helmet, I think it's time to put the old one up on the shelf for display. I'll probably pony up for one of the high end brands though. My head just don't fit those other lids. :( Even a Shoei doesn't fit right. Gonna be either a Bell or Arai for this cat. :debil:

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
MonkeyButt you really made my day by telling me this! It feels good to know you might have saved someone a life's worth of troubles.

Just like you I gotta bite the bullet and shell out some more dough for a helmet too (There's a foot of snow here so I can save for a few months:)

thorman75

"Team Army"
Dec 9, 1999
i took a big hit at byron,couldnt remember where i parked my truck in the pits(had to stop and ask aj and wardy where i parked),it was a moto 6 helmet i sent it back to bell,they called my house said it was broke so bad they asked my wife if i survived.no kidding.then they sold me a new one at a great price.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Re: Re: 1 hard landing on my head.....new helmet????

Originally posted by XRpredator

After seven years with the same helmet, I think it's time to put the old one up on the shelf for display. I'll probably pony up for one of the high end brands though.

Actually, seven years after the production date on the helmet it is supposed to be trashed as per the manufacturers. The foam seriously deteriorates to where it won't absorb or distribute shock loads. Buy a new bucket;)

realslik

Dec 18, 2001
my helmet saved my face like 2 months ago. i was ridin with my friend and we were like the only ones at this place and i went to hit this jump that my friends weren't hittin and after i left the take off i discovered that it doesn't kick you up, u just sorta go off it and go level. so i go straight into the backside of the landing and the face mask part of the helmet on the handlebars. after i stopped tumbling after being bucked up off the bike like 5ft high and landing on top of my bike which also bucked up off the ramp and was right under me i discovered that the face mask part had broken free from the helmet on one side due to the force of the impact on my handlebars. way to go helmet!!! lata

Top Bottom