CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Hey guys I have a 04 CRF450 that I have had for a year and I am not sure what all I should do. I am going to check my valves and replace my coolant but what else should I do? And what is the best coolant? Also... I have somthing leaking I think where my steering is underneath my triple clamp or whatever. Do I need a new gasket or somthing?
And when do you usually do a new top end?

Thanks

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
A service manual or owner's manual will detail all of the routine maintenance. Online owner's manuals are available online through powersports.honda.com Click on ownerlink. Access to one online service manual is available for $8 anually through HRCA and Ownerlink.

The leak from your triple clamp is probably gas from the fuel tank vent hose washing some grease out of the steering stem bearings. You notice it after crashing/laying the bike down, right?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you really have the 500 hours on the engine that you claim then you are due for the following :

Valves (all 4)
Valve springs
Valve seals
Valve job
Cam chain
Cam chain tensioner
Piston, rings & piston pin
Diamond honing of cylinder
Crank
Main bearings
Exhaust rocker (assuming the usual amount of wear)
Water pump shaft, bearing & seals
Counter shaft seal & possibly the CS bearing
Steering head bearings
Clutch plates and basket at least needs to be carefully inspected

That's just "normal" wear stuff for the hours you are claiming.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I would also suggest going through the chassis to inspect and lubricate or replace bearings and change out the brake fluid.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Yeah, I really do have around 500 hours on the bike.
WOW! thats alot of stuff. I think im just gonna replace some seals, check the valves, change coolant and brake fluid, clean carb, and change fork oil.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think with all the money you have not spent in the past 500 hours you could afford a factory service manual to see what you should have done and how to put it all back together when it does blow. Of course when you go to sell you will inform the new buyer of everything that was never done right?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRF59jk said:
Yeah, I really do have around 500 hours on the bike.
WOW! thats alot of stuff. I think im just gonna replace some seals, check the valves, change coolant and brake fluid, clean carb, and change fork oil.

That approach should prove fairly costly down the road.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Well actually when I really think of it. I only ride 3 days a week in the summer and I ride 2 times a month in the winter. I compltly forgot about that.
So I would say I have 150 hours on the bike actually.
Im sorry

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRF59jk said:
Well actually when I really think of it. I only ride 3 days a week in the summer and I ride 2 times a month in the winter. I compltly forgot about that.
So I would say I have 150 hours on the bike actually.
Im sorry

Everything I listed should still be looked at except maybe the mains and crank, unless you are a really fast guy, in which case the crank needs to go.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Oh man... I am not very good at stuff like this. The only thing I have done with the engine is change the clutch gasket and put it back on. How hard is it to check the valves? And when it comes to the crank and all I wouldnt even know what to look at.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you are going to put those kind of hours on a modern four-stroke you have two options. Learn to work on it or budget for someone else to do it. Either way hoping nothing bad will happen if you ignore the service intervals is a really bad idea, and is the real reason new four-strokes get a bad rap.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
If you don't believe what Rich is saying, look in the photo gallery. Do a search on some of the blown motors, not just the CRF but the KXF's and RMZ's. The CRF's are NOT XR's so they need more attention and more dollars to keep in top shape to prevent catastrophic failures.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
ok, im gonna spend all sunday working on the bike. I have a service manual so what all should I do? I really love my bike and dont want to destroy it.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Guys I dont know much about all the engine parts so you will have to explain. I really want to fix this bike up, so I dont have to worry any more.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Read the service manual. Once you do that you'll figure out that since you "really don't know much about engine parts" that you should find a qualified mechanic to undertake the service for you. Expecting somebody to explain all the details of the services you have ignored is stupid.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRF59jk said:
Guys I dont know much about all the engine parts so you will have to explain.

As Patman pointed out , you need to take it to someone qualified. The work your bike needs at this point is way beyond the scope of what a novice mechanic can handle.

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
^ I have wanted to do that, but I dont know what to tell them what I need done, just a overall check of the hole engine? And how much is this gonna cost?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
A qualified mechanic will know or is smart enough to be able to read the manual and figure out what needs done. It will cost whatever they tell you since you live in "I don't know" we can't really guess at labor rates.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRF59jk said:
^ I have wanted to do that, but I dont know what to tell them what I need done,

Rich Rohrich said:
If you really have the 150 hours on the engine that you claim then you are due for the following :

Valves (all 4)
Valve springs
Valve seals
Valve job
Cam chain
Cam chain tensioner
Piston, rings & piston pin
Diamond honing of cylinder
MAYBE - Crank
MAYBE - Main bearings
MAYBE - Exhaust rocker (assuming the usual amount of wear)
Water pump shaft, bearing & seals
Counter shaft seal & possibly the CS bearing
Steering head bearings
Clutch plates and basket at least needs to be carefully inspected

That's just "normal" wear stuff for the hours you are claiming.

How many other ways do we need to say this before it sinks in? :bang: :bang: :bang:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I sure would like to see the wear patterns on your engine,too bad you do not know where you live,cut a deal with someone who knows how to work on that bike.A lamen coming into most shops with your issues,man that cash register will not stop for 5 minutes!And Rich is spot on!This is the exact sort of thing that is clouding the 4t mystique!The manual that comes with the bike does not cover the bottom end,you need the shop manual,I do not know the scope of the online manual though.Pull up the shirt sleeves,invest in some tools and fix your bike,it gives as great as an experience as all that riding,do not tell everybody though!

CRF59jk

Jun 10, 2007
Ok guys, thanks for you help. Tomorrow I am ripping the hole bike apart and cleaning it and looking over it all. I figured it isnt that hard. All you have to do is read the damn service manual and put it back together.
Seems like it just take up time.
Should I take the hole engine out? Or just leave it in the bike?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
CRF59jk said:
I figured it isnt that hard. All you have to do is read the damn service manual and put it back together.
Seems like it just take up time.

Prepare for an education.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Looks like there might be a parts bike available pretty soon guys :laugh:

Top Bottom