R White

Sep 13, 2001
my daughter autumn's first real race will be oct.20&21 @ ny atv lembo lakes.I don't know how she'll do yet I hope for the best,she already out rides her older bro's.yet I hope Im doing the right thing. I'm entering her in 1/4 mi dirt flat track, with the hopes that this gets her use to banging bars and close contact w/other riders yet all advise is openly excepted thanks girls:think

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
You know, my first ever race was a flat track event on an 1/8 mile track, but I was 21, not 10. Unfortunately.

I think it’s great you’re getting her started now. What a great confidence builder for a little girl!

Just be there for her and make sure she is confident and as relaxed as possible. Practicing day in and day out is far, far different than suddenly being on the line with other racers and knowing you’re pitting yourself against them. It’s a mental thing and has nothing to do with physical skill or strength, or the terrain at all. If you tell her over and over she’ll do great and kick their butts, that’s what she’ll have in her mind, instead of how difficult and scary it might be. Women don’t respond as well to the football-coaching approach—don’t yell or tell her what she did wrong if she doesn’t do as well as she thinks she should have.

Above all, make sure she has FUN. That’s why we’re all here and that’s the part I always forget whenever I hurt myself.

Just my thoughts—tell her she’ll destroy them all and wish her good luck for me!

R White

Sep 13, 2001
thanks firecracker22 she's been riding since she was 4 on a jr50 with training wheels.when she started riding pedal bikes she had a hard time,YOU CAN'T JUST TURN THE GRIP! on coaching,` I asst. coached her little leage baseball team last year she played on a boys hardball team,boy your right! :)

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
You probably already know this but tell her to HOLD HER LINE!!!!!!

Other than that, hopefully she has ridden enough (sounds like it from your post) that the idea of riding with others in close proximity won't freak her out.

My kids were pretty comfortable with the bar banging scene when they started racing at ages 5 and 7 (daughter and son) on the SX track but, they had been riding on the trails for quite a bit and the people we ride with are not shy about pushing them. We started a game with my son last year where we let him take off & we try to pass him. He earned the nickname of The Bunny, because he reminded me of the greyhound rabbits!

Karl's daughter was a bit freaked out on her first couple tries at SX. She doesn't ride as much as my kids do with groups of people and she thought that the other riders shouldn't get so close to her. :eek:

Tell her good luck from us!! :cool:

Top Bottom