Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
For some reason my stock 13T sprocket is showing some wear and needs to be replaced. Chain and rear sprocket still look in good shape. I was thinking about just getting a 12T front to try it. I want to be able to pull 3rd gear better in the tighter trails. I have a couple concerns though for those that have tried it maybe you can answer them. My bike already has the airbox mod and the FMF rev pipe. (KDX220) I think I can get the rest of the season out of the chain/sprockets if I change the front. 1 tooth off front is like 3 more on the rear right?

1. Will I have anyproblems losing a lot of top speed in 6th gear?
2. Will I end up needing to shorten the chain to avoid going out all the way on chain adjustment?
3. Will this longer chain adjustment make the wheel base too long?
4. Has anyone taken 2 links out of their chain to compensate.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
1 – not a meaningful amount
2 – no not unless your chain is excessively worn and stretched
3 – moving the wheel further back increases the wheelbase and makes the bike more stable at speed. You likely won’t notice any difference at all unless you are really in tune with the way your bike handles.
4 - ? I wouldn’t be too concerned about it

Yes a 12/47 combination is very close to a 13/50 combination.

David

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I don't have any '– ' input.........;)

But #5 on the list could be:

It's cheap!!

Oh..regarding #1, I run a 12T on my bike. Still good for over 70mph!

BIGFOOT16

Oct 20, 2000
I WENT TO A 12 TOOTH ON MY 2001 220 AND DIDN'T CARE FOR IT.I FELT LIKE I WAS SHIFTING MORE IN THE TIGHT WOODS.MAYBE IT'S MY WEIGHT(260),OR MY RIDING STYLE.

xpwarrior

Jan 14, 2001
I'm with Bigfoot and felt that I was shifting too much. I have added a PC pipe recently and like C. Dave says on his web page the 13-47 combo works well after the bike has been modified.

Sorry I got my ratios mixed up. I meant the stock gearing works good after adding the pipe. It pulls great through all the gears.

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
How is the 13/50 that much different from the 12/47? (I understand that it will be easier on the chain and when I need a new chain that is the gearing I will go to if the 12/47 makes me happy) It should be just about the same shouldn't it? My point about gearing lower is to pull 3rd gear easier in the tight stuff. I feel that I am constantly changing bewtween 2/3 in the tight stuff now and wanted to see if I could stay in 3rd more and go faster by pulling a longer gearand concentrating less on slipping the clutch or gear selection and try to go faster instead. The 4 stroke guys seem to have it easier because they can pull a gear more in the tight trails and concentrate on weighting and corning more to work the bike through the trees.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Fred it sounds like you've already thought it out and would be a good candidate to try a 12/47 combo. If after installing your pipe you still find you're shifting between 2nd and 3rd more than you'd like this certainly sounds like something worth trying. In this case the cost of experimenting is quite cheap so you really don't have much to loose.

David

RADMAN

Jun 20, 2001
I took your advice Dave and changed to a 12 t after reading your HOP up tips..It was the least expensive and I love it so far..Hope to follow the rest of your advice when money allows..Thanks for all your tips!:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom