Hughes 097

Jun 10, 2007
yumm yeah i bought a 2003 kdx 200 four people ownd it before me nothing has ever been changed ever.
1 owner 35 hrs
2 owner 25 hrs
3 owner 50 hrs
4 owner 15 hrs
me i put at least 20 hrs in the past 300miles. i think i need a rebuild my dad on the other hand suggests i leave it hahah yeah ok so what do you guys think

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Thumper96 said:
I would say as long as u still have good compression don't fix it if it aint broke
+1..... If you have original tires that are still ridable, I doubt the motor has been pushed too hard. I would pull the top end to examine the build- up of spooge or carbon on the kips, but if it runs good your probably ok.

chiro972

Dec 12, 2002
I dunno, that doesn't seem like that many hours. Probably depends on how it was ridden during those hours. It's good experience to open it up and take a look. I just did my top end today. I am the third owner and I have no idea how many hours were on it. It still rode great and the stock piston and rings didn't look too bad, but all the horror stories about 220 pistons, and I already had bought a wiesco, so I did my first top end job today.

The KIPS is a pain, and was heavily carboned up, so you would be wise to check it all out. I really could have put the stock piston back in, but why take a chance.

Now I just have to wait for a torque wrench adapter to get here by mail so I can torque my cylinders back on. You experts out there, do I really need to do that or can I just cynch them down and go? Is there any other way to get those torqued on?

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You will be wise to properly torque the heads on any engine, not just the KDX. Too much heat and compression stress and with it too much risk of major damages to your engine. Take time and do that right; you will be ahead in the end! Cheers John

Hughes 097

Jun 10, 2007
its benn riden hard personally im rebuilding it in november prob and from the ast owners they hade there tire in one book and then it got handed to me its had 10 sets of tires put on it and i all ready destroyed the new ones this week =] oh joy

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Hughes 097 said:
its benn riden hard personally im rebuilding it in november prob and from the ast owners they hade there tire in one book and then it got handed to me its had 10 sets of tires put on it and i all ready destroyed the new ones this week =] oh joy
Wow thats a little more than 10hrs/ set! I would do a top end, chain and sprockets, swing arm bearings etc. if it's been ridden so hard that you only get 10 hrs a set.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
i think i need a rebuild my dad on the other hand suggests i leave it hahah yeah ok so what do you guys think

my dad used to think the same, until i showed him the piston failure section in eric gorr's preformance book.

Hughes 097

Jun 10, 2007
ridejunky said:
Wow thats a little more than 10hrs/ set! I would do a top end, chain and sprockets, swing arm bearings etc. if it's been ridden so hard that you only get 10 hrs a set.
it has new swing arm bussing and new renthal chain / sprokeckets it has the tranny fuild changed every 2/30 hours mmhmh filter cleaned reoild every ride

ridejunky

Dec 6, 2005
Hughes 097 said:
what should be needed for a rebuild besides pistion rings gaskets
Not quite sure what piston rings gaskets are but you will need rings, top end gaskets, piston, wristpin, a bucket to hold all your powervalve parts when you clean them and a brush up course in grammar.

Top Bottom