mxdaddy527

Oct 4, 2007
Okay, my son is 14 years old and he races 85 and supermini very competitively (Loretta's/Ponca/Vegas). Any way, he's tired of being beaten by Tomac and Bagget so he wants to ditch the 85's and race 125 junior/ intermediate. I wont get him a 250F because I want to keep him on the 2-strokes as long as I can, but I'll probably end up getting him one when he's 16 or so.
I'm thinking maybe KTM 144, but I dont know the AMA rule if that's allowed in the 125 class. If not then I will probably get him a 125 and put some money into it to try to get it to run withg the 250F.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5'4, 115 pounds.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ? Pretty agressive, maybe a little less on a bigger bike.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? Competetive motocross

4) Do you have any riding experience? Riding since he was 3

5) Do you think you will race ? definetly

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes I will be doing all the work. Atleast until he's on a factory team huh?

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I been thinking a 125 or 144.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Every major brand

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $9000

10) Do you live in California? Yes

11) Your age?My sons 14

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
We've ridden suxzuki for 6 years, but I think it's time for a change. I like ktm's, but yamaha's look good to.

zig06

Oct 4, 2007
Is there a 125 stock class that he can race??

Consider this: You and your son are at a cross road. If you want to keep him racing at the top of his game then your going to have to keep challenging him with better equiptment. What is Tomac and Bagget running? If it's the same as your son, then it's time to challenge him with something better. But if their running 150's and he's on an 85, then it's time for you to pony up.

You could also keep the same bike and send the engine off for some serious work.

So the bottom line is really you, and how far you wish to see your son progress. And if that means spending more and buying a new bike now and later then so be it. Because racing at that level means giving it your all. That's what your asking from him, right?

Now, if for some reason you cannot spend what your competition is spending, NEVER EVER tell your son that! It'll work into his head and give him a reason to accept finishing behind them. I'm sure that you've looked into it, but sending him to an MX school over then off season will give him time to relax and work on his skills in a no pressure environment.

Douglas777

Sep 19, 2007
Zig,
Tomac and Bagget are tracks....

Mxdad,
Why keep him on a 2-stroke? I mean I swear by them, but if I were to race at that competitive of a level I would most definately bite the bullett and get on a 450.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Douglas777 said:
Zig,
Tomac and Bagget are tracks....
No... tomac and bagget are about the fastest kids on 85's in the u.s. Tomac won at lorettas 85 14-15 and supermini this year, bagget took second.

They're both on factory bikes too.

mxdaddy527

Oct 4, 2007
My son is riding the 112cc in supermini, which is the same thing Tomac's running. But also as 150guy said, he's on a factory suzuki bike.
He wants a 125 because he's ready to move to something new, but zig, you're right, I could get him on the four stroke. Or I could just sell all the 85's and buy a 125 and 250F, but I wasn't planning on spending a whole bunch of money, but if I want him to do good, then I should i guess. But then again, i'd rather put the money towards a new motorhome. The rode-trip to Loreatta Lynn's was not fun in our old peice of crap RV.
I'll have to think about it.
I'd say mostly the reason he's not keepin up with them is not because of his equitment though, it's just he's not as fast as he should be.
At loreatta's tomac was running lap times around 2:07, and my kid fastest lap was like 2:22

mxdaddy527

Oct 4, 2007
150rguy said:
No... tomac and bagget are about the fastest kids on 85's in the u.s. Tomac won at lorettas 85 14-15 and supermini this year, bagget took second.

They're both on factory bikes too.
I see you have a 150. I haven't considered getting him one of those. How are you keepin up with the 112s?

Top Bottom