duke

Oct 9, 1999
This could be classified in the MX section as well, but here goes. A friend of mine who is a very fast rider for 50, claims that a 125 is actually a more suitable mount for many 40 plus riders. His reasoning is based on the fact that most todays 125's offer easier to use power bands then those of days long ago. Plus, their lighter weight means less energy expenditure. He races a CR125 nad does well agaisnt even 40 year old riders. What are the opinions of the members? I might return to local senior level racing next year and the thought of racing a 125 is entertaining. I dont have the funds for a YZ250F and the like, so those arent viable solutions. Were I to ride a 125, it would have to be a REAL 125.

GoesTo11

Aug 21, 2000
When I started riding again a couple of years ago (after a 22 year layoff,) I bought a 250. After about three weeks, I bought a 125 and am still racing it. This season, I raced an RM with an Eric Gorr 144 kit. It is much better than even the 125. (Kind of a perfect step between the 125 and 250.)

However, recently, I have been getting blown away on loamy stretches by the 450F's and the KTM 4 strokes; and have been thinking about buying a 450F. But , I agree with your friend, the 125 (or a 144) is a good bike to race in the class, definitely for the first season.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i say if you want to be a contender, forget about the 125. i race a 250 two-stroke in the 40+ class and i'm getting pulled on the starts and straightaways. as much as i don't want to go to a big four-stroke, it looks like i'll have to in order to remain competitive. i don't recall ever being beaten by a 125.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
I think it was Johnny Omara way back in the 80's that did a feat of unquestionable heroism on a 125 at a mxdes nationes by beating almost everybody in the 125/500 race. He only came second to the American rider on the 500, cant remember if it was David Bailey or Rick Johnson. His explanation was that he was just as fast going downhill and so much faster thru the turns and latebraking that the uphills didnt matter that he was giving up lots of power. Just hope you have a good chest protector and lots of tearoffs :eek:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I ride a 125 in the over 40 class and other open classes & I concur with MX547. Seldom can I get a good start against the 450's & 520's. The only advantage on a 125 is I seem to be able to brake later (probably because I'm not going as fast) and sometimes they are bottlenecked at the 1st turn which allows me to go around. Most of the over classes I've ridden the pilots are much more experienced than me so to them a 250 is comfy and they can handle it as well or better than I do my 125.

My last race before DW I had a wheel bearing go out before my 2nd moto so I rode a YZ125 with a 167 big bore and it pulled real well against the bigger bikes. They still beat me on the start but just not as bad. If you are dead set on the 125 feel but want to be a contender in the "over" classes, maybe the new KTM 200SX is for you. Only drawback I can see is it's a lot of money and you said that wasn't an option.

Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
I went the other way too Duke. I bought a 250 and had it bored to 310 and ported. The 125s have come a long way but you still have to stay real busy with the shifter and clutch to go fast on one. I have a few friends that have done well in 40 plus riding big bore 125s. If funding your racing is going to be a factor in your decision...I ride my 310 at least twice as much in a year as I do my 125 and spend a good bit more maintaining the 125 ;)

duke

Oct 9, 1999
My 125 riding buddy has the ability of riding and practicing at least once a week or more. I dont have a life style that offers such a luxury. Riding twice a month is considered a good month. With that being the case, I am of the opinion that campaining a bike that requires near precision to make work (125) would not be a wise option. Instead, a machine that offers a wide, smooth powerband and accomodates a rider with poor line selection. A KTM 200 wouldnt be bad. Currently I have a well maintained 250EXC of 91 vintage. It compensates for my mistakes. I have been always intrigued by the features offered by the European 125 enduros. But living in So-Cal and riding terrian comprised of steep, slippery hills again makes a 250 or bigger bike a better option. If I wasnt so cheap, I would replace the EXC with a generic MX model in order to have suspension that is a bit stiffer and a bike a little less girthy.

Bill

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Duke,
I ride a 125 in the +40. It's lots of work, I rarely get past mid-pack(read I beat the rollers) but I have great fun on the little bike. I've ridden many bigger bikes in the past but I like the lightweight and feel of the 125's. They will definatley make you a better rider, but if you want the podium you will need to go bigger...or 4 stroke!
Best of luck to ya, duke!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You can't be lazy on a 125.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
I have Gorr's book on the various models. And it dennotes the later year KX 125's as offering good power for enduros and trail riding. basically the 94-97 models. In fact, the power was similar to the much raved 96 and later YZ's. The 87 YZ motors were the basis from which the 96 and later YZ engines were based. . A year ago, I ran into an old desert racer trail riding in the Red Mountain area of So-Cal. He was riding a KTM200. I inquired of his riding exploits, and the guy said the 200 was the biggest displacement bike he had ever owned. This guy was racing desert since the very late sixties. And most all of his choices for racing were either 100 or 125's. His favorite bike was an 86 Cagiva 125 WMX. He still owned the bike and claimed that it never broke down. I guess after having treked across the Mojave on DKW, anything would be deemed an improvement.

Top Bottom