duke

Oct 9, 1999
I am seriously considering the purchase of an 00-02 era 125 for class c level senior MX events and off road GP's. I am well aware of all the virtues extolled with the 250 thumpers, but I still feel a 2 stroke will suit my needs. My question which brand? Personally, based on test reviews, the YZ and KTM seem to offer the best powerband. Reliability doesnt seem to be problem with either make. Are there any 40+ aged riders out there who compete, be it MX and/or HS on a 125?

Bill

PS, weight isnt a factor as I am about 155 sans gear

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I bumped into a couple of Senior Classers (like myself) last year at the Snow Chicken here in Michigan who had jumped back to 125's. Both of these guys were on 125 SX's (KTM's). They said the sx is AMAZING in its output and a true joy to ride. I rode KX's (125's) for a while and had a tendency to burn them down cause I had to run them WOT all the time - even in the woods (not a jetting issue).. Those guys and I talked about the SX's for a long time - they could not say enough about the POWER of the SX!! I did some reading and found out that the SX is 42 horse - WOW!!!
Yea, I would LOVE to try one!!!!! I do think I would miss the RAW torque of the 500 though :)
Woodsy

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Im a senior with a 125, well its now a144, but I wanted a lighter bike cause I am getting old and weak. I miss the power of the 250 but I ride faster on the 125. If you watch Bubba you can see how fast you can go on a small bike.He inspires me. I just love the light easy to flick feeling of the 125s. Also I dont get to ride as much as I would like to so its just easier to hang on to alighter bike.If your thinking of the ktm the power is good but you need to fix the suspension. yamahas good reliable bike too.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
I'm 45, bought a 99 yz125 a year ago. For me the 125 was a good choice. I used to race a lot in the 70's and I was a decent rider back then. The new bikes are a lot more capable as well as tougher (more jumps) tracks. A 125 today has the power of an old 250, although the powerband is way different.
If I could do it all over I would have my suspension done and add a Scotts stabilizer from day one. I'm convinced I would have prevented a rotator cuff tear that was a results of a high speed headshake incident when landing off a jump.

Top Bottom