Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Hey guys, I made a thread earlier about my christmas present. I was going to get a KX 100 for christmas, but I am now having second thoughts.

I am 15 years old, and around 5'7 or so and 115-120 lbs.

I have an XR 80 now, which I have extremely outgrown to the point where after coming off someone elses 2-stroke, I refuse to ride it!

I have been having some second thoughts, and my father is also encouraging me to go 125cc instead for the same reason as the XR 80 i just got, and outgrew rather quickly. So I want to avoid this happening with my KX-100. So I need help deciding, and need some encouragment and confidence to get a 125.

If there is one thing I do NOT have a prob with, it would be size. I actually prefer to ride a smaller bike than a bigger bike in size, since I love to man handle it. I am a fairly good rider, who does not want to be limited to a bike in which wants to be ridden the top end out of the whole time, but also I like to ride agressivly and really handle the bike. So I think that this elminiates the YZ 125 right off the bat for a few reasons. 1) Its very big (39 inch seat height) + 2) It is a top end machine from what I have heard.

So I am looking into a KX or RM 125 now from where I stand, since I really want a bike with tons of low end power, and I think I will elmiminate the RM 125 beacuse from a recent thread, I found out that the spark plugs for it run 25$!! YIKES!

I love a smooth powerband that is easy to work with and control, so would a KX 125 really be a good choice? I will be buying either used or find a left over 2003 which I have found for 3350$ - Good price? With my weight and height factor, would I have any trouble handling this bike, and jumping this bike? Would this be the right bike for me if I am looking for the most low end power?

Also, is there any way that I can easily LOWER the bikes seat height in any way easily? Or do I have to go into a large ordeal? And does anyone know the seat height on the 2003 KX 125? And will I have trouble fouling plugs if I don't ride it extremely agressibly, and have to do a lot of jetting work because I have not the slightest clue on how to!

Thanks in advance guys!!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If your wanting a trail/MX bike the KX is the best there is besides the 125EXC(in my oppinion). Unless your really racing the KDX would do the job. You can save money by buying used on any of these bikes. To make a KX really have low, trail bike power either port it or get a pipe. To lower a seat you can take out some foam(which I think is a waste of money for the little difference unless your getting a new seat or cover), drop the forks(easy to do, no $$), and adjust the rear shock(easy, no $$). You are the right size for a 125 and the 100 would fit; it just might not last as long. If you leave it stock you have to think about if you want that kind of power. There are 4 strokes out there for you but I wouldn't get one and it sounds as if you don't want one from your expiriences on Honda's productions. 4s are all right but you're in the right direction for looking for a 2.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I think your size best points you to a 125 class bike. At 5'7" your too big for that KX100 to give you much service. If the cost of the RM spark plug scares you then you might want to see what plug the 04 KX spec's because it's the same plug. As a safety precaution if you go with the 03 KX I would change the plug to the 04 spec'd plug. If it's bottom end you want maybe it's time to be looking at the 250F's from each manufacturer?

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I know its not much, but in the DirtRider 125 shoot out, the RM125 was the third, i think, after the 250 thumpers. It appears as though that Suzuki made some changes for the better. And the comments that praised the RM the most was from a guy about your size, novice i think. Try and ride a few to see what you like. KX and RM are more low end-oriented.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Chili, can you please elaborate on the safety issue, and why to switch to the 04 plugs that the rms use that are 25$?

and thnx for the replies guys, i appriciate it.

Is the 03 KX 125 reliable though? I was reading up on it, and they say it has some issues of reliability in the past, but they said that the 03 models were completely overhauled according to something I read, is that true? Probably the MOST important thing to me here is the reliability. I am fully willing to do the proper maintinance on this bike, and will do anything and everything that I have to do.. If properly maintained, this should last me a long time before a major break down, right? Any tips on what to do, or what not to do when I get this bike?

Anything you have to say would be appriciated. Thanks guys!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I understand why you would want the KX100 because of the handling issue and I am 5'6". I like to be able to "man handle" a bike or through around easily. But at 5'7" the 100 won't last you nearly as long as it could. As a less agressive and considerably weaker rider the 100 might be the one since you came off a XR80. This is why I reason the KDX for a larger but tamer bike. But again, even if your a little big for the 100 it would make riding easier. I think the smartest thing to do, from what you've posted, is get the 125 If you're jumping and competing or just on the track a lot a ported 125 is your best bet. I got the KDX and I can tell you it won't cause you any maintainence problems. If your unsure about wanting the 125's power a 250F might make a good bike. Two stroke is a good way to go too so test ride some bikes. As for plugs surly you don't have to get stock ones. Champions or NGK are what we use and if your bike is jetted right it shouldn't foul all the time. I don't keep tabs on plug prices but if they are $25 you can buy 5 cheap $5 ones and last just as long if not longer.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by Tiylu
Chili, can you please elaborate on the safety issue, and why to switch to the 04 plugs that the rms use that are 25$?

There was a thread on here awhile ago from marcus that dealt with 03 KX125's breaking the electrode off the stock plug and grenading the engine. In the thread which I can't seem to find right now they felt it was due to engine vibration and went to the expensive RM plug which was spec'd for the same reason. Obviously since Kawi went to this plug for 04 they felt there was some merit to the solution.

super125

Jan 1, 2004
I have a 2002 RM125 that I use for MX. I like the power but there could be more. I like tall bikes, my suspension is as high as it goes and im 5'10".
New plugs for it are as easy as a trip to WMR and $5.

bubba x

Mar 27, 2006
the hell with $5 go to advance auto and get ngk br8's for $1.77 with a lifetime warranty just save the plug boxes buy five at the time when they foul throw em back in the box they came in and exchange em free for life.........thats what i do the initial investment of $10 and plugs for life :nener:

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm 5' 6" and ride the 2 bikes in my signature. The KX125 fits me perfectly, the KDX is a little bigger feeling (wider seat and taller rear). The KX has no bottom end. None. I've ridden it over the same rocky, bank infested trails as I've ridden the KDX and it's just not much fun at all. Much harder to reliably loft the front wheel and it has to be 1/3 throttle to do anything. On a track, it's a blast. In the desert, it's a blast. In the woods....no thanks. In the woods, the KDX is great. In the desert, my KDX (steering damper, FMF desert pipe, reeds, revalved suspension, etc.) is not bad, not bad. On the track, the KDX is okay, but no KX.

If I had to ride the KX on trails, I would have a) a flywheel weight, b) a larger tank, c) a long quiet spark arrestor muffler, d) a steering damper. By the time I did all that, I might as well ride the KDX. There's a big difference in the power delivery of the KDX and KX on tight twisty stuff with the former hooking up much earlier.

Power-wise, the KX is fairly smooth. I really don't know much about a powerband because it's a 125 and 125's need to be ridden 1/2 throttle or up all the time. So, "powerband"?? I dunno. I can tell you that the clutch and gearbox work pretty well!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
super125 said:
I have a 2002 RM125 that I use for MX. I like the power but there could be more. I like tall bikes, my suspension is as high as it goes and im 5'10".

144 kit anyone? :laugh:

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
super125 said:

Not if you're going to use the right plug. The right plug is $25-30.

The issue is not how long the plug is going to last.

I recommend using the right plug. There's a thread here somewhere with a quote from NGK explaining why the right plug is necessary. The RM125 2001-2004 or 2005 is a high vibration motor which has been known to break the electrode off a normal $2 or $5 plug. This tends to cause problems in your cylinder. The $25 has a visibly different electrode.

Take the chance if you like, but I buy the right one. I got it jetted pretty close last year using a cheap plug, switched to the $25 plug and used it from June to late November. No problems. If you're fouling plugs, you don't need to keep buying plugs - you need to learn to jet.

I understand it's a VERY expensive plug, but if it only takes one or two per season, what's the big deal.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
no you wouldnt have a problem throwing the bike around. i am 5' 6" and sat on a 02 KX125 and i could touch the ground easily. go for the KX.

Top Bottom