thermal

Sep 25, 2001
I'm interested in a 2002 KTM 125 for woods riding,
logging roads & pipelines, not tight trails.
The dealers in my area (Atlanta) have told me that KTM will not ship the 125 EX to the US.
My question is will the 125 SX be suitable for me and will any modifications be required?
I weight 145 lbs. and do not race.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Why not go with a 200 exc/mxc? Same frame and more Wheaties.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Why aren't you interested in the 200? It's an awsome bike and much easier to ride than the 125SX. Definitly more suited to the conditions you want to ride in.

It sounds like you've completely written off the 200 as an alternate choice, I'm just curious as to why.

thermal

Sep 25, 2001
yes, I would be willing to spend some money.
What mods would be required and why.

I'm not interested in the 200 - don't want too much power and I've always ridden 125's.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I sent a PM to you but hopefully this will help as well.
IMo you will need a softer seat foam for starters(rock hard std)
The suspension will need a softer rear spring(PDS 1) and revalve both ends(too harsh for woods riding)
The engine is very fast but for woods may need a flywheel weight and porting(with possible big bore kit)for more bottom end.
If you are short you could cut the subframe down to lower the rear end.
If you need good milage range a optional large Sx tank is available from KTM.
As you can see this gets expensive-may be cheaper to get a 200exc and tame it down-dont forget its based on the 125 chassis and weighs almost the same.Hope this helps i know the 200 isnt what you wanted but the cost of the mods to the 125 would be over $1000.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The 125sx is lots of hard work in the woods...I just found that out this past weekend! :)

Bud-Man

Dec 5, 2000
Thermal,
I'm campaigning an '01 125 SX in the GNCCs and local Harescrambles. It's a good bike with the mods that Marcus mentioned. Stock it's too tall for medium to short guys, too pipey and the suspension is way to stiff. Gas milage is insufficient for anything but play riding. For starters, get the oversized SX gas tank (~2.9 gallons @ $235). It doesn't change the ergos a bit. Then get the suspension set up for the woods. These two things are an absolute necessity. If you are used to a 125 in the woods then the rest of the stuff isn't as critical. I found that a Moto Tassinari reed cage and Pro - Circuit pipe/silencer setup to work wonders for the motor. Mo power everywhere while also making it smoother with a longer top end pull. I never went with a flywheel weight but I'm considering one now. I'm 5'8", so I cut the subframe to lower the tail of the seat about 5/8"-3/4". This doesn't sound like much, but it is amaizingly noticable. Especially in the tight technical sections. Overall, the bike is an excellent choice for offroad use as it's incredibly reliable and easy to maintain. Much more so than even the modern Japanese bikes. Personally, my only gripes are that the power will never be as broad as my 200 was and the seat is brutal. (Nothing seams to help the seat situation except standing up.) If you are concerned about the power of the 200, don't be. Believe it or not, the 125 makes the same or more power than the 200! The 200 just makes more power in the lower rpms. I rode my '00 200 MXC like it was a 125. Plus, if you get the exc, the wider ratio tranny and heavier flywheel will smooth things out even more. After the last GNCC, I'm again trying to decide which bike to buy for next year.....125 SX (with all the new suspension, oversize bars, smoother layout, better turning) or another 200 MXC (perfect woods motor). You should try to find someone in your area to test a 200. You may be surprised!! (PM me if you want more specific info.) Good luck!

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
Thermal
If you are already a 125 rider, just buy the KTM SX125 and enjoy the beaucoup power and quality componentry. That motor has me tempted as well. If you care to, see the other post on this page about 2002 exc 125. I've talked to other KTM 125 riders and they tell me that with the OEM piston and rings, the KTM is about as durable as my TM.

Top Bottom