intotheflats

Oct 27, 2003
I am looking to get a used dirt bike but am not sure what would be good for me. I am 24, 5'10" 185lbs. I have a lot of experience on quads but this will be my first dirt bike. I am not going to be racing but will probably play around on a track and in the trails. I also know I want a mx bike, CR, YZ, KX, RM or SX doesn't matter to me, which one would you recommend?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
KX125 is the best 2 stroke 125 for trails because it has low end power. The KX250, on the other hand is one of the most powerful 250's(besides the SX) but has a condierable amount of low end power.

So my conclusion is a KDX. Its a trail bike that you can learn on or put around on. Take it on the track for fun if you want but it just won't jump 70 feet.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by TwoStroker
So my conclusion is a KDX. Its a trail bike that you can learn on or put around on. Take it on the track for fun if you want but it just won't jump 70 feet.

I disagree, a KDX is more than capable of a 70 foot jump. You just may decide during that flight time that you wish you had done some suspension work to it :laugh:

hug747

May 14, 2001
By what I have seen and read the best all around trail or mx bike would would either have to be a 250 2-stroke or a 450 4-stroke.

To judge by my riding experience and bikes I have owned--77 IT175, 79 YZ250F, 84 YZ250, 86 IT200, 85 XL350, 83 YZ125, 96 XR400, and presently 2001 KX125. I'm 41 yrs old and weigh about 155lbs. I've ridden mostly trails until I purchased the XR400. The XR was ridden on track and trail; the KX I have mostly ridden on track. I have only raced in the beginner class and not very often. Mostly ride at a local track that is on club property.

I would not purchase a KX 125 for trail riding. The KX feels and runs the best on the track(what it was intended for). Not much lowend; decent mid for me ( not to abrupt) if you accidentally get a hand full of throttle it may not put you on the ground. Topend revs out fine for me. Keep the rpms up and it does great. I have attempted more obstacles with this bike than any other. Not because of power; but lack of weight and proper suspension contributes to the new experiences.

I felt as if the XR400 has the best power for me, but the weight and suspension(front ) is a setback on track riding. I raced the 400 in the 250 beginner class and the power is down considerably compared to a 250 2-stroke. Remember I said, "has the best power for me." The power is smooth and torquey.

If you're not a beginner or someone who is easily encouraged to do obstacles that you're uncomfortable with than I would go with a 250 2-stroke or 450 4-stroke. A hand full of throttle on one of these will get you into trouble, but ridden with respect should give plenty of satisfaction.

If you are wanting to get into racing than start on a smaller cc bike, get used to the powerband and move up.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
A 185 lb, 24 yr old is too big for a 125, IMO. If you like adrenalin and you're an aggressive rider buy a 250 MXer. The brand you choose is relatively unimportant. If you're kind of mellow a KDX is a good choice.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by hug747
I would not purchase a KX 125 for trail riding. The KX feels and runs the best on the track(what it was intended for). Not much lowend; decent mid for me ( not to abrupt) if you accidentally get a hand full of throttle it may not put you on the ground. Topend revs out fine for me. Keep the rpms up and it does great. I have attempted more obstacles with this bike than any other. Not because of power; but lack of weight and proper suspension contributes to the new experiences.

He wasnt saying to buy a KX 125, but that a kx 125 wud be the best mx bike for trail riding. which it woudl since it has the best low end power and smoothest powerband.

i would say to go with a kdx.

DirtDragon

Oct 22, 2003
Originally posted by gwcrim
A 185 lb, 24 yr old is too big for a 125, IMO. If you like adrenalin and you're an aggressive rider buy a 250 MXer. The brand you choose is relatively unimportant. If you're kind of mellow a KDX is a good choice.

I have to agree. I think you would enjoy a 250 more than a 125 as well. Also, brand is more of a preference than anything. All of them have their ups and downs, and everybody has an opinion on which one is the best..As your first bike choose what you like (preferrably ride it first) the most.

Travis

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
If you got a MXer I'd get a 250. The trails is the bad part. Since you've always rode a quad you might want to learn how to use a clutch and the front brakes first. The 250's don't have a lot of low end power but you can launch yourself at a tree. The KTM EXC's are a little more capable for racing because of the better quality parts compared to the KDX. But either one will take you around the track pretty fast.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
In the woods? My dads an all trail guy and he rode a KX250 in the woods when I was on a PW80. Every time I got stuck he'd have to find a tree to lean it on and it wouldn't idle for 5 seconds. You can make it run fast but you'll use more gas and might not like the way it runs on the track. A 125 is easier because its smaller and lighter but your probably too big for a 125. All the 250's have different low and top end power. The KX isn't bad for trails but all of them have stiffer shocks which mean if you go fast in the wood you'll get bouncing around and lose control.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
You may want a 250 MXr. Just get a spark arrestor, a heavy flywheel weight, adjust the suspension clickers to "soft", and go. What a blast. Having owned both 125s and 250s, track and trail, IMHO I have to say 250s are better because of better trail power and less frequent engine rebuilds.

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
I agree, I think 250 mx bikes are awesome all-around bikes, little stiff for some woods/trail stuff stock though... I have two of em, and like riding both cause the powerbands are totally different... new KX pulls hard bottom and harder mid, older YZ is nice mid to top pull... KDX is definitely something I wanna sample, never rode one, but heard a lot of good things-

either way, have fun-

Lizard Lips

Oct 22, 2003
My advice: don't buy until you checkout a KDX 200. It is fast. A KDX 220 is a low end torque monster if that is what you are looking for and can be modifed to "blow the doors off" a KDX 200 for not a too much dinero. (which already goes like a Polaris missle). I have ridden them both and own a modified 220. Remember- with the KDX you a get a SIX speed tranny, you get a larger fuel tank. You get a seat that is WAY more comfortable then an MX machine (it has trail bike in it's blood). You get a nice smooth powerband AND all this in a nice, light KX style perimeter frame. Visit www.frpoffroad.com to see all the goodies available for them.

RRPcr250r

Nov 1, 2003
I would probally say go with a crf450. they are great all around bikes and have a lot of power when needed. If you ever have the need to catch some air you can, if you need to go trail riding, you can. I think that bike would be great for you.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
A lot of people are looking at the KTM200, as it seems to have the best of both worlds. Light, but plenty fast and easy to ride how you want.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I'm all for the EXC's. Light easier to ride 2 stroke bike that can race on a track on in enduro's. High quality bikes, good resale.

PDW

Nov 8, 2003
hey, im 23 175 and i ride a 125....i downsized from a 250 and im having way more fun racing this one. and the 250 experience made me faster on my 125.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
KTM makes a 125, 200, 250, 300, and 380 two stroke EXC. The 125 is identical to the 200 just smaller bore. They weigh 2lbs difference so I'd get the 200 because the 125 is just less power unless you want to ride it in the 125 MX class. There really no need for a 250 MXer unless you ride hard or compete. A KDX will deffinetly pull you. If you get a 250 MXer make sure to height the flywheel at least. A trail bike will save you some dough.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
A 250 2-stroke or 450 four is going to provide for a world of pain for a beginning 180lb rider IMHO. I'm an experienced 160lb rider and just made the jump to the 250, and it's a challenge for sure. In particular, a 250 2-stroke requires much more throttle finesse than a 125 and is much less forgiving of mistakes.

I would recommend you look at the KTM 200 MX/C or EX/C, or one of the new 250 4-strokes.

-Pace

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Stick with the EXC 200 KTMs, the KDX, or the Yamaha WR250/Honda CRF250X. Any MX bike will be a handful in the woods - especially on tight singletrack.

The bikes above are easily upgradeable if you feel like you've outgrown them. You can get a 2001 or 2002 WR250F with a YZ seat/tank combo for cheap. Same with a KDX. There's a 2003 KDX at a local shop for $3200.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Now thats a good price. 4K for a new one in 2002.

The CRF250F SHOULD be good. I wish they'ed get it out here all ready. If its all that it's said to be it'll sell big. I mean like the YZ/WR compairison. Not a XR.

Top Bottom