125 or 250. Complicated dilema. I filled the sticky

eastfootball

Oct 15, 2009
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'11'' 190 lbs 17 years old
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
very
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mainly woods and fields with the occasional open track day. Bottom line is I like creeks and hills.
4) Do you have any riding experience?
None. Although, I have been riding ATV's since I was 9.
5) Do you think you will race ?
no
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes Im generally good at figuring out things. I plan on doing my own engine work. I have never worked on an engine before but I have done everything else from paintball guns to rc cars. Which are a major pain I might add.
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Preferably a two stroke. I have ridden four stroke quads my whole life and want something new.
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
I wont use a dealer. The local dealer marks up their prices way too high.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
$1500 or less
10) Do you live in California?
Nope. Good ol Indiana
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

Here is where the dilema comes in. I have never ridden before so I assume a 250 would be a bit too much power, however I feel as if I am too large for a 125. I know I wont have difficulties handling the 250, Im a pretty strong kid. The quad I ride is a kawasaki prairie 700 and I can throw it around with ease. Although I dont wanna buy a 250 and then have to nurse the thing because its too much for me. Id rather be able to drive my bike like a bat out of hell. Which I assume I could do with a 125, but do I weigh too much? Also Ill be climbing some soft hills that ascend from creek beds. Will a 125 have enough power? The price and ease of a 125 is more appealing to me. But I dont wanna squash it like a bug. A 250 would meet my speed requirments, but is it likely that I will have to put around in fields cause I cant handle the power? Im a very good atv rider but I realize its like apples and oranges. Thanks guys.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
Riding an ATV does not compare to riding a bike. Experience does not transfer. Bikes are alot lighter and faster. I have not had any experience with a 125, but every posting on here says that they are for about <170 lbs if you are doing hills and such. The 250 will definately give you any speed that you want, as far as open fields go, that would be the best place to open it up. Would be a bit more tricky in the hills but can be learned. There are 4 strokes that may better suit your type of riding with hills and creeks. I am not experienced enough to make suggestions on which one though. There are plenty of people on here that would.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
A 125 2 stroke motocross bike is a very poor trail bike. I know because I owned one and sold it for that exact reason. They are designed for the track and they dont have much low end power, which makes trail riding difficult. I would suggest a 4 stroke, although you will be limited with your $1500 budget. I recently bought a 2001 XR400 honda for $1800, but it was almost new. You can probably find one for around $1500 if you look on Craigslist. There are only a few modern 2 strokes that are actually designed for the trail, such as the KDX 200 or 220. Regardless of which bike you decide to buy, learn what to look when looking at a bike or take someone who does. You can really get screwed if you dont know what you are doing. By the way, a 250 2 stroke is not a beginners bike...I have owned one of those too.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
With the limited budget unless you get really lucky and find a used KTM200EXC really cheap I think you are going to have to make a compromise.

Choice one learn to ride on the 125 and it's a great choice for soemone with no experience, the compromise is you are a bit heavy for it and hillclimbs and stuff will be more difficult until your skill level gets higher.

Choice two get the 250 and you have a bike that is more suitable for your weight and will handle anything you want to throw at it, the compromise being it will throw you on your ass if you get too jumpy with the throttle and will be a steeper learning curve.

If you are as aggressive as you think you are I think you'll be disappointed in a KDX or a trail oriented 4 stroke. That being said I've seen many riders with limited experience who think they are real aggressive and spend one weekend on a 250 2 stroke and put it up for sale.

Tough choice all around.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
He thinks he is aggressive...put him on a CR250 and we will see how aggressive he is. A 250 2 stroke is NOT a beginners bike. I dont think a beginner would be disappointed in the power of a KDX220 at all.

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
Your first bike will take a beating, so save some money for repairs.

If you want a 4 stroke, buy a older 250 (something like a Honda xr 250) that as been owned by some old guy that bought it new to just ride in the woods and has decided to sell his bike because he has too many toys. For riding trails and climbing hills, the low end torque of a 4 stroke can't be beat.

If you go with something under 200cc, get a 2 stroke. But be warned, most of the newer 2 strokes are set up for racing not trail riding. Although there's nothing wrong with that (years ago, all decent dirt bikes were 2 strokes), if the bike has spent most it's life racing, you may be buying a money pit or worse.

Leave your options open and look at both. I didn't notice if you will be riding with others that have bikes, but try to take someone with motorcycle experience with you when you look.

Keep in mind, most people that are just starting to ride are ready to move up to a different bike in a season or 2 , so don't get too hung up on what your buying for your first bike, just make sure you buy something that you'll be riding more then repairing and you will have a lot more fun.

Mar 18, 2006
A kdx has plenty of power.And so does an xr400. Especially for a beginner. And your money is right. Get a good one, sell it for close to what you paid for it in a year or so, and then upgrade to a more cutting edge machine. Too many buy too much bike to learn on (especially street riders) :bang: . I agree, a 250 mx bike is too much to learn on :yikes: . A 125, too hard to trail ride for a beginner. Do yourself a favour, and buy a kdx or an xr to start with. Take your time, find a good one. :)

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
If you go with an XR, for your weight I would go with a XR400. I rode one as my starter bike for almost 2 years. For anything other than the track it was a great bike. All the power you want as a beginner and then some.
------------------------------------------------------------------ « t a g » -----
Jacob - KX65
Annabelle - ETon 50
Jennifer - Revel 110
Brad - KX250

eastfootball

Oct 15, 2009
Ok thanks everyone. I just really want a two stroke cause I can afford to do maintenance on it. But I understand that a 125 2 stroke isnt a practical trail bike. But a 250 2 stroke is too much, looks like Ill have to find a tweener.

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
East

You dont have to do much maintenance at all on an XR..they are a different engine design than the racing 4 strokes, such as the CRF series. Buy an XR...I own one and it is reliable and low maintenance.

Mar 18, 2006
but it's relatively (to the mx bikes) low performance, so one that has been properly maintained will last better than most bikes, 2 or 4 stroke. Do a little research to figure out how to properly evaluate a motorcycle's condition, and then find a good one. Don't forget about kdx'x either. An XR400 or a KDX would be a good choice to start. Many experienced old guys go back to these bikes, eventually. :blah:

jb_dallas

Feb 17, 2009
East

You need to do some research about different engine types and their purpose. I call the XR design "old generation" 4 strokes because they are similar to the 4 strokes of the 80's and early 90's. Motorcycle manufactures didnt really start making high performance 4 stroke motocross engines until the late 90s. The "new generation" 4 strokes are the high performance, high maintenance engines that you keep mentioning. Honda made the XR400 until 2004, meaning that they manufactured the old generation XR engine and the CRF series at the same time. I had an XR500 back in the day that ran for years and we never touched the engine...and we rode the hell out of that bike.

eastfootball

Oct 15, 2009
Ok thanks. Well that is definitely promising information about the XR's. Also, are the KDX's reliable? Im leanin towards that just because I really want a two stroke. Im expecting to do at least a top end on whatever bike I buy (assuming its a 2 stroke.) There is an 02 kdx 200 nearby for $1500.00. Do you know if there is a significant difference between the 200 and 220?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
KDX's are as dependable as rocks... it's a well proven bike. I'd do the 220 as it is a torquier motor, but this is partially due to having a smaller carb than the 200. Ideally a 220 w/ the 200's carb is a nice set-up, but if desired you can do the carb later on. Both bikes are good and when push comes to shove, they're really only slightly different motor-wise. With either bike you'll have more motor to pull you around than a 125 would, and the 200/220 is a tamer animal than a 250. I'm thinking a KDX may be exactly what you're looking for.

eastfootball

Oct 15, 2009
Ok thanks for all the input, a KDX it is then. Whats a safe price range for one of these bikes? Year 2000 and up. Ive seen em range from $1300 to $2800. Basically Im asking what price would be overpriced/underpriced etc. I understand that you generally get what you pay for.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Really don't know what to expect with prices. Nothing really changed on the KDX's since 1995. I'd do some research to find the going average price range. This will give you a bargaining tool. Look at them and consider the condition they're in. I've never completely trusted the seller with their claims of "a brand new piston"... I'd figure it will need at least $100 (in parts) put into the motor right off the bat. Fork oil change, shock service, etc, are areas I'd plan on doing too. Brake pads, all the bearings can be checked out by pushing, pulling, looking for wobbles and squeeks. Check things out well, because lack of proper previous maintainance will affect your offered price substancially. Many aftermarket products are out there that can increase the bikes performance as you see fit. The KDX's were known for having kinda weak fork springs($100), and at your weight you may find you'll need them after you've got a few rides under your belt and you grow experienced with the bike.
Have fun.

GoldDrum

Aug 5, 2009
eastfootball said:
Ok thanks everyone. I just really want a two stroke cause I can afford to do maintenance on it. But I understand that a 125 2 stroke isnt a practical trail bike. But a 250 2 stroke is too much, looks like Ill have to find a tweener.

The XR400 will probably be about the least maintenance bike that you can find. Change the oil and ride.

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
Maintenance on a 4 stroke should not cost more then a 2 stroke. You have valves to adjust, but I don't mind doing it on a 1 cylinder bike.

Now if you are talking about rebuilding the top end, figure spending almost twice the money on the 4 stroke. Also, you will need a bit more motor knowledge because you valves, cam, and a cam chain. You may also need a few more tools. The difference in cost is offset by the fact that the 4 stroke motor should out last the 2 stroke.

Dtm

Oct 28, 2009
I understand that you want a two stroke that will fit your needs.I would look into a older yz250 or Rm250 they have the power.The best bike would be a ktm300xc but with that would be $$.The yz 2000-1994 would be your best bet or if your lucky a kdx200 would be the bike for you.

kx2502009

Nov 1, 2009
i would get a 250 just because they have the most low end of the 2 stokes i think which is what i have been ridin but not for a beginner a few seconds and your in 5th gear but like the other guy said it will do what ever you throw at it and 4 strokes are expensive when they start breaking the newer ones that is the xr"s arent as bad since there the older 4 stroke with less torque with a 2 stroke most of the times i can rebuild my kx250 for about 500 bucks if i dont do any trans work a 4stroke will be at least double that

SS109

Jul 27, 2009
I guess I will throw my .02 in here.

If you want a 2 stroke then the KDX is probably the right choice. However, IMO, go with a 200 over the 220 unless you find one that the stock piston has already been replaced. (read more on that in the KDX section). You can always add the 220 top end parts later if you want the extra CC.

Also, the KDX is not a "weak" bike like some make it out to be. Yeah, it isn't a CR250 but it is a more than capable machine that will eat a lot of 250+ machines when things get tight. Get Eric Gorr's engine mods done to it, setup the suspension, and you would have one helluva ride that will make you happy for a very long time.

As for 4 strokes. I see the XR400 mentioned a lot in this thread. Seems a tad large IMO for a beginner. If you can find one like T_Bois said...
If you want a 4 stroke, buy a older 250 (something like a Honda xr 250) that as been owned by some old guy that bought it new to just ride in the woods and has decided to sell his bike because he has too many toys. For riding trails and climbing hills, the low end torque of a 4 stroke can't be beat.
you would do well. An old XR200 or XR250 are both great and reliable bikes.

With that said, go 2 stroke, you will love it! :cool:

A.Stump

Nov 17, 2009
kdx 200 is a great bike and thats all there is too it. It does none of the things that people hate about 2 strokes and all the things you love about a 4 stroke in my opinion and everyone elses i ride with. I ride trails and when things get tough i can always pull right out of it then go right back to pull the xr's and crf's out.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom