hatr3d

Apr 27, 2007
I'm 27 years old, 5'11" tall and weigh in around 190lbs.

I'm about to buy my first bike.(I have ridden a few in the past although.) I plan or riding a mix between wide open spaces and trails. Nothing to tight and technical though.

My only concern is low end grunt. I would love to get a 4 stroke, but can't swing the extra cash. I want something that I don't have to keep wound up all the time in fear of fouling plugs left and right.

With my height and weight factored with the "low end" I want, what would you suggest?

Personally, I'm leaning towards a 250. I've done some reading and it seems that with a weighted flywheel, Gnarly pipe and some gearing I would have what I'm looking for.

Or, would a 250 be too much for me to handle? Can I get the same kinda results from a 125 with some mods?

aaldape

Mar 18, 2007
A 250 would be waaaay better than a 125 for your size and for what you want to do with it. Go 250, easy decision for sure :cool:

Cman250

Dude Guy Bub
~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Mar 31, 2007
I coudn't tell you from experience with either bikes but i can tell you from asking and seeing the same questions everywhere. So heres my $.02 : The 250 will give you low end torque , and even without the fly weight , judging by age and weight the 250 wouldn't be more than you could handle, as long as you take it easy at first till you get the feel of things. The 250 will cost you more but it will also be a bit easier on maintenance to the exception of when something does go wrong, you might be forking up some serious ca$h. the 125 on the other hand won't have the bottom end torque you like but makes up for it in the mid and high range areas, they are screamers and take a little more clutch work in trails but are cheap and cheap to maintain. These little screamers will need their diaper changed more often though, but you shouldn't be fouling too many plugs when things are running right, also when things go wrong they repair prices for 125s are fairly cheap. In the end , its up to your budget and personal liking, but then again i may be talking out of my anus- please correct me if im wrong.

hatr3d

Apr 27, 2007
Cman250 said:
I coudn't tell you from experience with either bikes but i can tell you from asking and seeing the same questions everywhere. So heres my $.02 : The 250 will give you low end torque , and even without the fly weight , judging by age and weight the 250 wouldn't be more than you could handle, as long as you take it easy at first till you get the feel of things. The 250 will cost you more but it will also be a bit easier on maintenance to the exception of when something does go wrong, you might be forking up some serious ca$h. the 125 on the other hand won't have the bottom end torque you like but makes up for it in the mid and high range areas, they are screamers and take a little more clutch work in trails but are cheap and cheap to maintain. These little screamers will need their diaper changed more often though, but you shouldn't be fouling too many plugs when things are running right, also when things go wrong they repair prices for 125s are fairly cheap. In the end , its up to your budget and personal liking, but then again i may be talking out of my anus- please correct me if im wrong.

Your telling me exactly what I have been thinking. So long as I control myself and treat the bike with some respect off the get go, I should be OK.

Budget for the bike is good. Budget for upkeep is fine. I went to school for 2 years for small engines, I am no stranger to a 2 stroke. In fact, that is half my reason for wanting one. I know how to take care of and keep up a 2 stroke better than these new fancy thumpers.

I've got my eye on a 2003 CR250 that is all original and like brand new. I'm hoping that I can land it.

B

biglou

bobdude100 said:
Get a brand new 2007 Yamaha TTR125LE, i got mine brand new and landed at $3,699 not bad.
There's a big, BIG difference between a TTR125 and a MX 125! Roughly 3.5 times the horsepower, for starters. :nod:

Top Bottom