125 pipe on a 200, Whatwill happen?

Chouca

Feb 26, 2001
I have a KTM200EXC-02 and wonder what will happen if I put a 125 pipe on.

I have asked all my local gurus and done searches but...nobody knows, and everybody believes it is not a good idea - noone can be nore specific.

How will this change effect the power curve? Less top or bottom or less everywhere???

The reason to change is that it is very easy to dent the 200 pipe on the left side when you crash, and I do...

I am riding mostly woods so enjoy the light weight and the low end power of the 200.

Any ideas?

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
this would be my GUESS, that the 200 cylinder is going to be ported/tuned for low end and the 125 pipe will be set up to favor top end. Will it run ,probably ,will it be the worst of all compromises,most likely.With jetting problems and the possiblity of running lean in a certain area ,causing an engine meltdown, a risk i wouldnt want to take without some serious time and money just too see if it did work.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The pre production 200sx looks to have a 125 pipe but it think it was alot fatter in the middle-im guessing it would be either very good on bottom or on top.

Chouca

Feb 26, 2001
We all seem to be in the dark, nobody seem to have tried an easy way to avoid reparing dented pipes :ohmy:

So lets rephrase the question;

What will the effects be of a smaller volume /shorter pipe on the power characteristics???

WWR

Sponsoring Member
Jul 15, 2000
I'm kinda shooting in the dark here, but I think it will probably hurt power everywhere. The lower volume will probably hurt midrange hit, and the shortness will place the tuned peak too high for the tuned peak of the cylinder porting. They would work against each other.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
It would not be all that hard to calculate and predict the pipes performance on the engine, if you have the specs. That prediction could be quite accurate.

Chris

CRSpeedy

Nov 24, 2002
The 03 production 200 SX looks to have a 125 pipe on it. They are very similar. My son and I were looking at the similarities of the 125&200Sx. We joked that we should buy the 200 and just change the stickers and race the 125 class. We decided to get a legal cheat bike tho, the 250F. I you borrow a pipe to try it should be interesting but I would suspect it would make it more like a motocrosser. Let us know how it does.

zero_it

~SPONSOR~
May 20, 2000
Buy a carbon fiber pipe guard from Enduro Engineering and go riding.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…