cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
ok thinking about getting a 125 honda,yamaha,ktm motorcross bike.and i was wondering how much more is it to keep a race ready 125.up and running good,like pistons how often will i need to change them.and that kind of stuff? :laugh:

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
If you ride a 125 to its full potential all the time and never let off ring it after 5 hrs and a piston after 10 or close to it. It is always a good idea to keep an eye on it. Modified motors are likely to were out faster.

Яocky

Sep 19, 2007
What are you planning to do? Fun? Race amateur, race pro?

If you´re a full-gas fan, the piston will last no more than 10/15 hours using a nice lube.

Besides it depends the way you threat it, if you don´t take care of warming up (for example) it doesn´t matter how you ride it.

pd: sorry my english, maybe some words are not correctly used.. :(

cr85re

Mod Ban
Nov 1, 2007
i plan on raceing mx,im pretty good,i also plan on progressing fast cause ive learned already pretty fast so ill probably get up to intermediate classes,and im gonna ride trails,but hopefully not alot,and im going to race to 2 1/2hr hare scramblers.and do 125s foul plugs as much as 85s?

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
An 85 is a smaller motor and needs to be revved even higher than a 125 to be ridden properly. A 125 is basically the same but may not foul plugs as much. If the correct jetting plug and gap are used along with the right rider, that is going to have an extremely large effect on plug fouling.

May 10, 2007
cr85re said:
i plan on raceing mx,im pretty good,i also plan on progressing fast cause ive learned already pretty fast so ill probably get up to intermediate classes,and im gonna ride trails,but hopefully not alot,and im going to race to 2 1/2hr hare scramblers.and do 125s foul plugs as much as 85s?

sounds like someone is counting chickens before they hatch.

but yea a 125 would be cheaper to keep going then the 250 though a 250 is better for hare scrambles cuz of its bottom end torque. 125's have most power in the top end power.

and yea neither should foul plugs if your jetting is right and your a riding it hard enough.

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
At the novice level I used to go 20 hours on the rings and 40 on the piston using a hour meter back when I raced the 125 class. This was a lot longer then is recommended and the posts above are better followed for peak performance. If your budget will let you keep a fresh top end in by all means do the shorter interval but if you are on a budget spend your money on fresh tires and racing schools and drop back to a longer interval.

For the novice class ones own skill is what puts you in the trophy hunt way more then the freshest top end.

hope this helps
D

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
Some of the claims for topend intervals on here I see are obsurd.... :whoa:

When I raced mx on 125's I would replace piston/rings twice a year. Once before the season starts and then once during the middle of the year. I would ride 2-3hrs a day 3 days a week plus practice/race time on the weekend. On average I raced about 20-25 races a year.

Theres NO way you need to replace rings or pistons every 10-15hrs and certainly not 5-10. :rotfl:

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
truespode said:
Did someone mention absurdity?

How you been Bryan?

Ivan

Been great man. Never left....... Just been lurking. I'm working on getting another bike. Hope all is well with the crew. ;)

Sorry for the derail cr85re.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I ride intermediate, not racing but play racing and working on my technique. Did my '01 KX125 every 15-20 hrs and it was never even close to the limits. I have 9 hr on my '05 and it feels like it just got broken in. I'll probably go 25 hrs on it. Works out to every 6-8 months, depending on the weather. Not bad if you ask me.

Top Bottom