Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Can anyone offer me a take on 4 bikes I'm considering:

2000 KX 125:
Good: good plastic, rebuilt motor, new fork seals, new brakes, runs very well, bigger rear sprocket(I will be riding trails), FMF pipe, extra plastic
Bad: busted brake lever, need new fuel cut switch, funky clutch issue(won't start in gear)
$3000, but said would defonitly go down due to clutch gremlin

2000 YZ 125:
Good: rebuild motor(~5hrs), all stock
Bad: cracked rear fender, frame needs some paint, return spring on kick starter is missing, didn't get a chance to ride it.
$3000

2003 YZ 125:
Good: new motor: piston, resleeved, rings, reeds etc (~5-7hrs), good plastic
Bad: I havn't actually seen it or ridden it yet
$3400

2000 RM 125:
This is a bike from a dealership, again going to check it out this weekend. Advertised as new top end, plastic looks good. Big plus I'm seeing with this one is that they would defonitly have documentation on any work done, and I could put it on my credit card rather than having to take out cash(small detail)
$3000

I'm leaning between the KX and the RM. I like that the are supposed to have more low end. The RM because it's from the dealer, and the KX because the guy seemed really cool and actually let me test ride it, fully aware that I had never ridden a bike before.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm really getting an itch ride.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
All 3 of those 2000's are overpriced even for the Canadian market. I would not pay more than $2500 for a mint 2000 125 of any brand. The 03 YZ if they sleeved it instead of redoing the bore I'd pass on that one as well.

Sapper33

Apr 15, 2007
Agreed they are a bit more than what they "should" be. But the market sets the prices, I don't.

Actual price set aside, thoughts?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
There's lot's of bikes for sale everywhere, just need to know how to find them. Be pretty rare that I'd buy a used MX bike from a dealer with all the racers trying to get out from under 1 and 2 year old bikes. When the guys start dropping the prices on those it affects the 3 and 4 year old ones and the effect snowballs. My thoughts are all of those bikes seem to have issues which would make me wonder what kind of maintenance they had seen except the RM and I wouldn't touch that since 01 was the year they got a huge makeover so it's tougher to find parts for 2000 and older.

Since you're mainly going to be a trails guy what about an option like this http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=27999206&pgno=7&srt=1

If you're going to spend 3k I'd see if I can get this guys price down a bit, heck of a lot more bike and far better for possibly less than 1k difference http://www.canadatrader.com/result/detailinfo.aspx?ID=27826796&pgno=12&srt=1

Don't have much time to do anymore searching tonight but it does seem AB prices tend to be on the high side. Think Ill ship my kids 05 RM125 out to my cousin in Calgary when his 08 250F shows up :cool:

kawicam250

I bleed green!
Aug 7, 2006
all those bikes are overpriced. i bought my '00 KX125 for $1400 USD's, not exactly sure how that translates into CAN's, but i know it cant be too far off. but if you really want to get one of those bikes, get the one that seems to have been maintained well and make sure that you test ride it before you buy it, otherwise you might wish you didnt buy it when you finally do ride it.

Top Bottom