scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
hey folks, i siezed my crank / rod at sand mt. a while back running a paddle tire on my yz125. I only weigh 150 lbs and siezed it coming down a HUGE ass dune with 0 throttle...so i think it was my bad. any ways whats the consensus about 125s in the sand, and should i try without a paddle tire?

~scott

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
The 0 throttle could have been the problem. The engine could have been starved for fuel/oil. Running richer jetting would be good insurance too.

dante101

Sep 12, 2006
scottiedawg66 said:
hey folks, i siezed my crank / rod at sand mt. a while back running a paddle tire on my yz125. I only weigh 150 lbs and siezed it coming down a HUGE ass dune with 0 throttle...so i think it was my bad. any ways whats the consensus about 125s in the sand, and should i try without a paddle tire?

~scott

he is right, because the engine is not getting the normal cooling and stuff it gets from actually moving very fast... that real wheel just spins, and the revs just keep spiking, and your hardley moving, or are trying to stay on it, to make it up something.. i think 125's suck in the sand...

scottiedawg66

Sep 26, 2006
yes, i agree with u kdx crazy, however i was running my standard jet for sea level, and sand mt. is at over 4000 feet so i figured id already be rich as hell. I think the fact that i wasnt on the throttle was my problem. Whats the consensus with running a 125 in the sand, most of the people i ride with say that they see 125s sieze in the sand often, but since im so light i figued i could get away with it?

~scott

mongial

Oct 28, 2006
Sand is rough on motors, chains, fork seals....you name it. You might want to check your air filter, boots on both sides of the carb and make sure you weren't sucking air/dirt in the cylinder.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
My GF rides here CR80 in the sand. If she stays in the power band the bike does ok. If she tries to putt it will overheat. I'm surprised you didn't get a warning like the bike blowing water.
When her bike overheated it spit water all over the place.

I let the bike cool down then got her up the hill she was having a problem with.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've run a YZ125 in the dunes at little sahara with no issues. I suspect your problems were more due to riding down the dune at zero throttle than the fact it was a dune, a steep mountian trail would have done the same. When the throttle is closed on a 2-stroke its getting almost no lubrication. There will be quite a bit of residual oil to keep things working for a while, but a really long steep down hill can cause problems. Either put it in neutral or try a bit of throttle next time, be sure your jetting is decent or a bit on the rich side and have fun.

Stick with the paddle tire, a knobby in the sand will suck more power for the same amount of foward thrust. A 6 or 8 paddle is best for a 125.

Top Bottom