125's Jump Larocco's Leap! My Red Bud race recaps

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Holy cow!!! Several 125's jumped Larocco's leap in Saturday's practice. I only saw the first full set of practices since we were racing on the night track - but there were eight 125 riders we saw jump Larocco's leap!

Steve Boniface (first guy to do it I think) [KTM125]
Ross Martin (local A rider kid) [RM125]
Kelly Smith [YZ250F]
Scott Sheak [CR125]
Greg Schnell [YZ250F]
Ernesto Fonseca [CR125]
Josh Demuth [YZ250F]
Micheal Bryne [CR125]

Maybe more guys did it in the second practice set - but wow... it was very cool to see!! 125's (and 250Fs) going BIG!

Awesome races on Sunday, too!

My 125 recap - Man, Jesseman was hauling in the second moto! Passed Bubba once early in the race, then towards the end there was only a 4-5 second gap between the two. About time for Ward to have a good race, too (he did win Red Bud last year). Brown looked strong after having some time off - was in contention for second in moto one until he crashed and pulled off the track. Bubba was flying in the first moto - crashed pretty hard in the start, started nearly last, and flew through the pack up to second. I wasn't as impressed with Reed second moto, he layed his bike over in a corner early (maybe 3rd lap), had troubles getting started, started around 30th and only moved up to 22nd. If that was Bubba - I think he would have been up in the top 10 for sure. Antunez really surprised me, too! Lead for a few laps in the first moto and had a good second moto, too. Way to go Bud Man!

My 250 recap - RC HAS NO COMPETITION! I begin to wonder if it's even fun for him anymore to cruise way out in front with noone in site. He had constant 30-40 second leads! He is simply amazing. Nuff' said. Ferry rode really well - a solid second place finish in moto one. Then, in moto two, Ferry was in the back of the pack in the start and worked hard to move up into the teens by about the third lap. Then he went down in a corner and got started back around 30th. Ferry was on the gas as he passed all the way up to 6th! Larocco looked good for the home crowd. Passed Ezra Lusk late in the second moto for third - and Ezra was riding extremely well, too. And Natedog!! Very impressive... been off for a while too, had to go through qualifiers all weekend, and comes out swinging for second overall! I think he really likes that CRF. Roncada and Vuillemin should have sat out another week - as neither one did as well as they should have. Heck - Roncada had to run qualifiers to get into the main and only came in 4th in his qualifier. For a guy who lead RC a few laps this year you expected him to win against the guys outside of the top 20. His ankle must be still hurting I guess. Tortelli was another rider who didn't do as well as expected. He's always done really well at Red Bud, too. On Saturday in practice he cased Larocco's leap pretty good and took a while to get back going again. Maybe that messed him up a little for Sunday.

So thats my summed up race reports... :confused:

RED BUD!!

147leeman

May 27, 2000
Nikki, great report....exactly what I saw regarding the riders and how they rode. Reed should've rode with heart like Stewart did as I felt his speed was almost equal to Stewart's. Ivan, for some reason LaRocco's leap just looks easier. Though I never found out if they added more to the jump face (taller it looked), there were a ton of guys jumping it. Kudos to Jon Baker from Indiana for making the main (and Jeff Baker, Kevin Lampe as well for riding hard and almost making the main). It's fun to see the guys who I race against make the main event. One more comment....when those magazines pick on certain riders for not riding hard, they should attend each outdoor national and see for themselves how wicked fast these guys are and the exhaustion after each moto.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Ivan - a few of my buddies who raced this weekend said they re-faced Larocco's leap a little bit so it was easier. My one buddy, Bryan White, was the first one to jump it in his 250 practice on Saturday. Red and I watched as Bryan clicked his YZ 250 into 4th and went WAY up in the air and overjumped the landing by 20-30 feet. He nearly landed in the corner and, needless to say, the impact threw him off of the bike. He was ok - stood up, threw his arms up in the air, and the crowd went nuts. Bryan always pulls stuff like that :confused:

147 Leeman - yep... very cool to watch the local guys out there with the big dogs!

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Glad your friend is ok.

I am sorta bummed about them changing the Leap. Even though I know it is still extremely tough and something I'd never consider (even doubling it) but I like the idea of some things being 250 only.

Thanks for the info.

Ivan

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
According to www.mxnationals.com - they added about three feet to the takeoff of Larocco's Leap. Bryne was supposedly the first one to jump it - right next to Larocco (the top guys all practice together). Others who jumped it who I missed to name earlier and a few small comments from www.mxnationals.com:

Tedesco, Stewart (nose high, hitting hard), Smith (smooth), Jesseman, Reed, Sellards (smooth), and Brown (cleared once and pulled off to check his bike)

RuNaMucK

Mar 2, 2001
Reed won Moto 1, so he must be at least near 100% fit.

In his fall in moto 2, did he fall on his bad shoulder, could you tell if it was troubling him at any time?
I am surprised he didn't at least make the top 10 how long was it before he got going again??

Cheers

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Nikki
Timmy Ferry didn't fall in the corner he got pinned behind a guy that did in a huge rut coming down the last downhill corner from the orchard. I felt so sorry for him because he was just helpless there waiting for the guy to get out of his way as 20 bikes went by. Timmy really flew it was a shame, I think he could have gotten #2 easily. No one will beat Ricky, it's not even funny. He's a half a track in the lead by the end of the moto...he's just insanley fast. Hid daddy was pretty proud of him commenting..."That boy sure can ride" as he watched his son practice Saturday. I agree...he sure can ride.

I looked for you Sat night and never saw a #102 YZ 125. Sorry I missed your race.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Wow - this thread was bumped from over three years ago :coocoo:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Yeah, but funny how this statement is still pretty darn relevant.

"My 250 recap - RC HAS NO COMPETITION!"

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Haha - no kidding!

For a 25-year old who's never lost an outdoor title and has already doubled Hannah who's second on the all-time motocross win list, it's no surprise.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
.. I've been wating for the " the 125's are doing it and Bubba couldn't every lap on a 250, he sucks" posts :p

Top Bottom