halowords

Sep 29, 2004
I'm curious about getting a 125. Probably a Yamaha YZ or a Honda CR, since I like the aluminum frames.

Anyway, I'm pondering a 125 because I've lost 50 lbs. and am down from 230 lbs. to below 180 and still falling. Based on that, and that I don't mind learning to ride on the pipe, would the 125cc 2-stroke be a good fit for trail, field, and maybe eventually MX riding? Is a 125 my best bet, or is the wider powerband of a 250 still appealing despite my lighter load?

Also, what's the concensus on the best brand(s) of 2-stroke, specifically the aluminum framed variety?

-Cheers

Rotaholic

Mar 10, 2004
125s are fun but 250s are much better as they are suited everywhere and you will allways have enough power. If this is your first bike then maybe a 125 is your best bet as a 250 can rip your arms off if your not careful or get bent out of shape pretty quickly. Things start to happen pretty fast on a 250.
125s will bog down and your forever clutching them, but thats why I like ridding them cause theyre so much fun and you can throw them round. In saying that my next bike is gonna be a RMZ450 after coming off two RM250s

Dont overlook SUZUKI, they make great bikes. Aluminum frames arent that important.

Most important thing is to get the bike sprung for your weight and get your suspension dialled in properly. It will that much more fun

The greatest MX/SX rider of all time rides suzuki, they rock. All though the other brands are all just as good.

A KTM 200 sx is another option, a 200 two stroke motor in a 125 frame, yee ha

john3_16

May 17, 2004
If you are going to get a 125 you can't go wrong with a YZ125 in terms of performance...Coming pretty close to the YZ is the CR125 as long as you go with the 05' model.

Older than 05' then I'd choose the YZ first and then it's a dogfight between the RM and KX.

If I were getting a 125..My choice would be the YZ.

DVMX

Jul 1, 2005
125's are good bike's. I couldn't be happier with my RM125, I'm looking atmoving up to a CRF450 though, but out of the '05 models the YZ would be your best bet, with the amount of redisigned stuff on the YZ & the aluminum frame (drools) it'd be your best bet

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
At over 200 pounds, you should not consider anything less than a 250 4-stroke, 200 2-stroke. A great suggestion up above was the KTM 200 SX - if you get it ported and jetted out. In stock trim the 200 has a very narrow power band right in the middle of the RPM range. Have Eric Gorr port it for more everywhere and you wont be dissapointed. It is a great all around bike and will have the torque necessary to carry your physique without revving its little guts out. It is not as intimidating as a 250 2-stroke. Hope this helps. I have a '05 YZ 125 and '04 200 SX. 200 SX has way more torque.

n_w t_ b_kes

May 31, 2005
He isn't over 200 lbs., he is used to be, but lost weight (and still losing weight) and is currently at 180 lbs. as he stated above. I would say a 125 would be good. The only aluminum framed 125 and 250 2-strokes are made by Yamaha and Honda.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
Go for the 125 - any of them will be a blast. Don't think it isn't macho. I was 190 lbs. when I got a used 125 Honda a 5 years ago after being off bikes 27 years. It was fast and fun. Your weight will make the suspension extra plush, and if you're a beginner you won't go that fast anyway to bottom the suspension much. I got a 250 2 years later and Rotaholic is exactly right - pretty easy to get in trouble with too much power. It's taken quite a while to get used to the power and I've tried to tame it with gearing and 14 oz flywheel weight. I've seriously considered selling it and getting another 125 because of how much fun and light they are.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
125's are allot of fun, sometimes I run out of gears on long straights, or bomb runs and I know I could go faster with another gear, or 250... but for as much trail riding I do I think I'd be lugging a 250 around most of the time, at least on the 125 I'm wide open all the time, and shifting and clutching, that's fun to me... Hill climbs can be a pain, but I've found that I can hold my own fine, if I can't make it up a hill usually I'm not the only one... On tight trails, and such were top speed is'nt an issue I don't think I could go much faster on any bike...

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
If your going to go with a 125, the YZ is tough to beat. If you ride quite a bit, you will quickly be looking for more power, especially if sand, hills or mud are involved.

ironram

Jun 3, 2005
id say go with the 125 im at 205lbs and ride a 99yz125 what a bike i love it as for suzuki my buddy has an 01 suzuki 125 and he cant compare to my 99 yz 125 his bike has nothing on mine anywhere hills straight aways cornering take off anything i make so much fun of him this weekend i'll give him another beating lol anyways check out the yz's great bike i wouldnt buy anything else but it's your money

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Pros- Light Weight, Nimble Handling, Unintimidating, Descent midrange, Good top end
Cons - No bottom end or torque, shorter parts life, may get bored quicker, more shifting
Pros - Wont outgrow, way more torque, longer service life, less shifting
Cons - Heavier, more likely to test your medical insurance

Top Bottom