RM85rider123

Oct 28, 2007
Do you think you know all of the brands? It is usually unknown that there are 15 or so different brands of dirtbikes besides suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki, your common brands. There are different ones like gas gas, TM, etc. could any one tell me the other unknown brands?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
China "brands" don't count.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
You left out the Canadian brand ATK, they purchased the Cannondale line of a few years back and fixed most of the problems. They used to be bigger close to 30 years ago. Did they not aquire Maico as well?

KTM wasn't in your list, but I'm sure you know it.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Are you including Polini, Cobra, and Macbor in your top 15 list? I think that Husqvarna is still producing bikes, as is Husaberg. You didn't mention Sherco, but I have heard of them recently. I think that I have covered 5 of your 15. Next....

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Does this list include companies that specialize only in trials bikes? That will make a lot of difference in the number of manufacturers.

Is VOR still around?

tjswigger

May 31, 2004
I see by your screen name that you are most likely much younger than me.We can all sit here and name companies that may produce an obtainable motorcycle.The truth is however,there are less than 15 brands that most of us would own.Unless you are just referring to all forms of racing and riding. If you race mx you don't have that many.trials nope, enduro nope,super moto nope, you can see most of these are specific to a certain type of riding.
I agree there are more than 15 brands if you search the world over.I remember back in the early 70's you could look down the starting line and see Bultaco's,Ossa's,Maico's, Rokon's, Husky's,Penton's,Hodaka's etc....
My point is nowadays dealers and parts availability and price have changed the racing and riding world, the golden age of choice in my opinion has passed.you either go main stream or have a thick wallet if you go to a lesser known brand.I really miss all the choices I used to have. Nowadays, I even lost my choice of 2-strokes for motocross.I feel I was forced or at least steered toward the 4-stroke.I bought my first one a 2007 model this past July.That's a whole topic in itself.Talk to any 40+ racer and he will light-up when you ask him about all the brands of bikes we have to choose from.The younger generation doesn't know that thier choices are shrinking and the bike world is turning into copycat bikes in different color plastics.
I don't have a KTM yet, but just to preserve my right to choose an spur innovation I may soon go Orange!!!

Top Bottom