150 Mile Range - Maybe out of Luck

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I have spent hours (well maybe not hours) scanning the archives for solutions - but I may just have to be creative.

I would be glad to spend a few bucks for a bigger tank - but $200 for only 1/2 gallon extra seems to not pass the common sense test.

I am headin to Moab ins a few months and need a 150 mile range. Right now - I am carrying 99 oz of extra fuel (I use MSR Fuel Tanks 33oz each, these are camping fuel containers) and this works well - but only gets me to 100ish miles.

I need to come up with another solution. I saw a pic somewhere online with a 200 with an aftermarket tank that did not look like the IMS tank. It was taller and came down further. Any idea if there is another one out there - or was this some custom job?

I saw a small auxilery tank made by Acerbis that bolts on the rear fender and taps into the fuel flow - that may be an option. Anyone ever ride with one of these?

sn

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I can get 150 miles with my KDX200 with a stock tank after re-jetting (42 pilot / 155 main jet on top clip). My 01 KTM 200 EXC (48 pilot / 180 main) only gets about 60 miles on the stock 3 gallon tank. I am going to re-jet it, but I don't expect to get over 70-75 miles per tank in the easiest conditions.

Be sure you are not wasting gas with poor jetting.
JCW

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Dang'd if I can remember where I saw this.

It's a #plate that's a fuel storage tank aswell.

I'll search and see if I can find it again.

Buc

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I am rejetting now - I will see what I get with 45/155. I will probably go to 42/150 when i get out to Utah since it is 3000 feetish.

I think it will be possible if I am REALLY easy on the throttle. I think the clip in the top may be the ticket for mid throttle fuel consumption.

I am getting 80 on the tank now with 50% easy single track and 50% two track. After rejetting - maybe I can stretch that to 100.

FWIW - I saw that number plate tank too - but I still need my headlight. I saw that KTMs can use a tank that takes the place of the sidecovers at 1 gallon each - that would be sweet.

sn

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Originally posted by BucKat

It's a #plate that's a fuel storage tank aswell.

Acerbis makes a number plate gas tank that bolts to the forks in place of the number plate. You could also make a bracket and use the maiher handle bar tanks and bolt them to the front number plate. I did something similar using medical saline bottles on a bracket, gives and extra 1/2 gallon, enough to get me back (hopefully) :-)

-Maurice

Ryan17

Nov 17, 2002
when i took mine to utah this summer i got around 100 miles out of a tank with room to spare. I have a PC pipe and stock jeting.

Mrobbins

~SPONSOR~
Sep 28, 2002
There was a used 3.4 gal. white/clear IMS tank for a KDX on the big auction site last week, but it's seems gone. Keep your eyes open because they do exist.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
A few years back in Dirt Bike mag. they showed how to expand your tank with boiling water and a tire valve (Schmader?) on your gas cap. I did it to a KX500 and gained about a half gallon capacity. Not sure if it would work with the perimeter frame, though. :think:

JCW

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2003
I think the key to maximizing fuel milage is consistency with speed, not avoiding riding hard and/or fast. Building up power from low speed conditions is what burns the most gas in my opinion. If you can work to keep your speed as consistent and steady as possible you will get the best milage.

I can't understand why the KDX 200 gets twice the milage of the KTM 200. Obviously the smaller jets save fuel, but this is a little extreme for virtually indentical engines. Another reason KDXs rule!

JCW

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I've got a Maier 2qt jug that straps to the handlebars...Comes in handy when I need it. Just have to keep in mind not to ride hard enough to use it was a handlebar pad. :)

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Moridin -- About the only place you need 150 mi over there is the white rim trail. It's practically a car road so one option is to go 1 tooth more on the cs sprocket giving you a higher top gear = better mileage. We do a number of rides that average 80 - 100 and just start out with a plastic OJ jug on the belt[96 oz] and pour it in the tank aaas the level goes down. When they're mt, we burn them in the occasional fire pit. Chaparral carries the "numberplate" 1 gal tank but you have to remove the headlight -not a good idea over there with short winter days and maybe unfamiliar terrain. The tank DOES act as a steering stabilizer though until you empty it ! e-mail me if you'd like some hints of a few of our "secret" places over there -- been doing 4-5 trips there yearly since '78 ! Rob -- culbertsonglass1@juno.com

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
Rob:

That is exactly the trip. Last year we did the Mineral Bottom/White Rim/Schafer and I think it was 152 from door to door.

If I am 120ish on my own - I can siphon the rest from a tanker that is going along.

Thanks,

Sean

Top Bottom