MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Im 16 and am getting a new bike...All my friends think im crazy because im not getting a car instead. I need some reason to justify me getting a bike instead of a car....anyone?

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Cars are work. Bikes are fun. Not to mention, borrow your parents car as a long as you can. My parents used to flip the gas bill most of the time and also used to pay for the insurance. Any time it broke, they usually covered that as well. All that (most of that) changed when I got my first car at 18. ;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Eleven
simply tell them......"You don't Ride."
That says it all. Explaining the joys of roosting your riding buddy to someone that does not ride dirt bikes is a waste of time, they will never understand.

MoO_coW

Jul 14, 2000
Its just so hard when everyone around me is telling me I should get a car and I dont really know. I love riding and everything but all this peer presure :) I wish I was never introduced into dirtbiking...its just way to much fun to let go :confused:

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
A car:scream: :think . Why the hell would you consider buying a car.You forget about a truck to get you and your bike around. I'm 16 too and i got an old beater dodge>at least it goes good:p , and i got my bike. If i have my bike in the back of my truck all the time then people know where my money goes. If I didn't own a bike i could have a half decent truck:think . Not going to happen.:)

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Hell, I don't care what my friends say. But I'm getting a car, truck to be more specific, on my 16th birthday. Actually I'm getting my dad's 94 Chevy S-10, and he's getting a 00 Camaro Z28, so it really works out for the both of us. I can't wait till I turn 16 and can drive (74 days and counting...), but everybody is different. Some of my friends can't wait to drive and some couldn't care less. Personally, I want the freedom of being able to drive and go do things when I want. Plus I don't have to pay for my car either because my parents want me to drive as much as I do.

Bottom line: Do what makes you happy. It's your life.

Yea, Peer pressure sucks, I know what you mean.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
To hell, er, heck with a car, getcherself a rig! I'm talkin' a pickup, my man! Then you can haul your bike!:cool:

I've never personally owned a car (at least not as my primary vehicle). It's always been a pickup for me. Chicks dig 'em. ;)

You should be able to pick up some beater Toyota or something for cheap.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Last year I ahd the money to spend on either a bike or a pickup, I took the bike. Granted my pickup is pretty nice (92 Toyota 4x4) and my bike at the time was also (98 XR 250), but I had to believe that I'd have more fun with the bike than the truck. I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. Now over a year later I have my Toyota paid off and may be back in the truck market, if only I wasn't going to college;)

John.T

Aug 2, 2001
You have to think , How much friggen fun can you have in a car? I just used my parents car, it's pretty simple actually, All my friends would be working there butts off, just to pay off gas, insurance, repairs etc... Now I had no debt (well a little with the bike) and I have the time of my life!!!! All my friends still think I am nuts for buying an 01 cr and some of my friends that ride think I am a rocket scientist! there is plently of time to drive a car, but for me riding with 3 or4 buddies side by side 5th gear W.O across a nice green field with sun coming down(you know when the whole ground glows!) and just looking over and smiling at your bro's is more than enough for me! Can you do that in a car? Getting up early and busting the berms at the track, meeting all the great people, friendships!!!!
all the friendships I make in my truck are will officer bob!! And he's only my friend because I supply the cop shop all there donut funds!!! lol! *tickets* trust me there is PLENTY of time to make payments blah, blah, blah and use a car. When you actually need a car, borrow your parents! Get a car if you need to go to collage or something! I didn't get a car till I was 21!!!! So the way I figure it,if you work just summers, you could have alot of money for a car when your 21!!!

:D :D :D :D

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Besides the only one that can hit a double in a car is Farmer John,so unless you plan on buying a Geo Metro... get the bike

YZDezertGuy

Apr 18, 2001
MooCow, i went through the same dilema dude! Everyone thinks im crazy cause i dont even PLAN on buying a car or truck untill i have to! I'd rather do what i love and ride MotoX and borrow the parents vehicles when i need. They have both a car and a truck so it all works out! I opted for the bike!

Bman

Apr 28, 2000
Take my advice and steer clear of your own vehicle for as long as you can if your parents will let you. I wish I could have. If it weren't for my truck and those darn repairs that I have had to do, I could probably be riding a brand new 250 of my choice.

Dirk Diggler

Jun 28, 2001
I had my ute/truck and I loved it. Unfortunatly, someone else liked it more than I did. When I get my insurance, I am going to pay out my loan, and not get another car.
I can borrow one, and I won't have all the bills.
Rego, Insurance, Loan, Fuel, Servicing, Repairs, Tyres. Stuff that. I'm going roosting on my 520!

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
These terms are foreign . . .

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler
I had my ute.....Rego.....Tyres.

What is a ute, a rego, and I can certainly guess what the last one. That is one cool thing about drn - you learn all these different terms and meanings from different continents. That is a good thing Dirk D.

I am guessing rego is "registration"? The "ute" is definitely joe pesci - ish.
I personally have never owned a car and I did not even start riding bikes till I was 32, so I guess I should have gotten a bike years ago! Right now I have an 61 chevy with a 327 and a turbo 400 tranny, in addition to a 338 rear end. The paint is even decent on it - not the usual "primer" colors.

roosterboy

Jul 25, 2000
ute is short for utility. basically they are like a sedan with a tray. I'm gonna get a ute when we can fit it in our fron yard ( there are 4 cars and a toyota hi-lux at our house, plus a wb ute being restored in the back yard.
rego is registration.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Moo back in the day I faced a similar delema. Car or bike (both used) ended up selling the bike I had and got a car so I could get to work to pay for the gas and insurance on the car I bought (what a circle). I didn't really have the option of borrowing the car since my mom had to get to work as well. Sometimes I wish I had just stayed with the bike and walked (up hill in the snow both ways) everywhere and kept riding instead of taking a 15 year break. Only MOO can decide what Moo needs to do(o):D . Peer pressure is a tough thing that everyone has to work through.

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
I would get a new bike and save up for a beater pick-up. An old truck will be cheaper to insure and when you wreck or dent it, it won't matter too much. Back in the day when I was in your postition I bought a left over '86 YZ 250 and a year later bought a $1000 beater Chevy K-10. I had fun in both and wasn't broke.

Sure, it kind of sucked when some of the guys had new or nicer rigs but I beat the hell out of that truck and finally ended up wrecking it so I was better of with a cheap rig.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Don't misunderstand me, I still think you should get a new bike. But a pickup is useful. And they can be cheap. My first rig was a 1958 Chevy pickup that I stole for $100. It can be done. Just don't expect to find any jewels.

I didn't name that sucker the "Blue Bucket o' Bolts" for nothin'!;)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Moo, get yourself a KDX220R and put it on the street, then check the look on their faces ........ hmm yes, a KDX dual sport (or Gas Gas) for my next bike ... yes yes :p

Top Bottom