17 Years old interested in first bike.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'10" / 145lbs.

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
Very active and very aggressive

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Local MX tracks and some woods riding (mostly track)

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Had a Raptor 660 for 3 years and had a CR125 for few months

5) Do you think you will race ?
Definitely

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Yes

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
No preference really, would like a 2 stroke though

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
All kinds of dealers

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
I'm planning on financing a new one through my dad

10) Do you live in California?
No, Texas

11) Your age?

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Have a strong interest in Yamaha

I have been thinking about a YZ 125 or an RM 125, but I don't know if I should get the 250 or start with a 125. I will be stuck with the bike for a while. And, I don't want to get hurt, seeing as how I am pretty small.

Jan 3, 2007
I say buy a 2 stroke 125 but mabe a KTM 144SX would be your best option. It is fairly expensive but cheaper then the YZ250 and the 125 power will make you a more aggresive rider while the 144 will help you stand a chance with the 250Fs.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Thanks for the input. :nod:

I have been talking to my dad about it. And he thinks I should start out with a YZ125, then when I am ready, and have some money saved, I can get a 144 Big Bore kit for it. Since my riding experience is slim on dirt bikes.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Racing is 90% rider 10% bike.

Don't let anyone tell you that you have a disadvantage on a 125. Until you are in the 125A bracket, a 125 will suit you fine.

A YZ125 is a great choice. As far as brand popularity goes Honda and Yamaha are the 2 most represented brands at most MX tracks (around here anyway).

I understand you want a brand new bike, but I would seriously consider getting a slightly used one. 2 strokes haven't really changed much at all in the past 3-4 years. You can pickup a 2004 YZ125 + a full set of good riding gear for the price of a brand new one.

It's not hard to find some guy who rode his YZ 3-4 times, then gave it up because he got married or something like that. Or even find a previously raced bike thats all decked out with after market stuff.

The differences between a 2004 model and a 2008 model are minimal and would probably only be noticed by very experienced riders.

Tell BoD (Bank of Dad) that you want a 2004ish bike, plus $800 bucks for a helmet, roost guard, boots, gloves, pants, shirt, googles. Then take $50 and pickup a new air filter, 2-stroke oil, crankcase oil, and some chain lube. Buy the bike and do all of the regular routine maintenance before you ride it.

Voila you have a bike that is basically good as new and much cheaper.

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Mox69-
I just got off the phone on a 20 minute conversation with my dad about the EXACT same thing. He said almost everything that you just said.

It's kind of disappointing because I am the kind of person that HAS to have everything brand new. And it's hard for me. But, I know that once I get it I will love it.

Thanks. :cool:

The problem that I now have is finding a decent bike, and working the money for it. My dad said that he would match what I make towards a used bike, but I have a minimum wage job and it's extremely hard for me to save enough for a bike. Because I have a Jeep and I spend almost what I make in gas getting back and forth to school and work. Which is the reason I suggested financing a new one to my dad. But, I will be going to college in a year and needing a place to store it. So, he doesn't want to get stuck with a payment on a bike that hardly gets ridden. :think:

Jan 3, 2007
Aryain, ride your bike to work. Save your money and stop cying about it. I am 15 and i have already made $2000 this mounth and next mounth i get a bounus. Your lucky you dad is whilling to go half way with you. I dont get anything. Last year working i made $5000 over the summer and $2000 doing Ski rentals at winter. If i could only display how much money was not for me but for family and friends. I would rather be on a P.O.S. bike (like i ride right now) and have fun rididng then i would be on a nice bike and have no one to ride with. So, get some money and just go ridding.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Well if your not hard pressed on Yamaha, Honda makes a great 2 stroke :)

The changes after model year 2002 were minimal. Some engine work, a throttle position sensor in '04 I think.

I purposely bought a 2002 CR250 because I knew most of the after market parts fit 02+.

I would personally be on the look out for a 2002 or newer Honda , or a 2004 or newer Yamaha. Your price range should be $1800 - $2800. Half the price of a new bike.

Just think of the satisfaction you'll get when your "clapped out" 2004 2 stroke flys past that fat old guy on that brand new stroked, ported and polished 450f :)

Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
That's what I'm talkin about. :cool:

I found a pretty good deal on an 05 YZ 125, for $2900, on CycleTrader.. I just need to call him and see if it's sold yet. :think:

Top Bottom