MOTOPHILE

Jan 1, 2003
What is the difference in handling/suspension when using a 18" or 19" rear wheel? How can 1" effect the ride? I am trying to choose between YZF and WRF and this is just one of the concerns I have. Either bike will be a blast I'm sure, BUT I AM HAVING A HARD TIME MAKING UP MY MIND! Seems to me that a 19" would work better for offroad (through ruts, holes, etc...) but only MX bikes come with 19". Why?

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
18" are easier to change! A new 19" Dunlop is a challenge for sure.

And am I crazy, but does the extra "ridge" on the inside of Excel rims make it harder to get the tire off???

Off road, 18" have a slight advantage over rocks and really rough terrain because the allow the tire to flex a bit more over the obstacles and reduces the chance slightly that a sharp rock blow will bend your rim.

FYI My old bike (KX265) had a 18" aftermarket rim, my YZ250 has a 19" rim on it and I can't tell a huge difference.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The difference between an 18 and 19" is in the rim size, not the outside diameter. Suspension is not affected. The reason they went to a 19" for MX is to reduce the side wall height which reduces the "wallowing" feel you get when the side wall flexes. It gives you a more precise feel on the track. But since there is less side wall you have more of a chance of getting a pinch flat when you hit square edge obstacles.

If you ride predominately in the woods get an 18" wheel but either one will work fine IMO. You can tell the difference between the two on the track because the 19" feels more stable but unless you are riding MX all the time or are really into racing then either is OK.

I'd make my decision base on the rest of the bike than with the rear wheel size. One is designed for MX and the other for the woods. What do you ride more of?

MOTOPHILE

Jan 1, 2003
QUOTE: "I'd make my decision base on the rest of the bike than with the rear wheel size. One is designed for MX and the other for the woods. What do you ride more of?"

I have been racing Hare Scrambles and recently moved to an area where I will be racing Cross Country. It seems MX tracks are much closer and easier to get to so I practice there some. I just worry that the suspension and motor are not enough on the WR250 (after usual mods). Can the YZF really be that much stronger? My 300EXC wears me out and I want something smaller but.... Wish I could TEST RIDE them both!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
From what I understand about the two bikes is the WR has a wider gear ratio and the motor doesn't hit as hard. I don't know all the specifics but you could probably turn the WR motor into a YZ motor (except for the gear box...without lots of $) and get the YZ performance in a WR chassis.

I hope some one else chimes in here because I'm not that familiar with the YZ/WRFs

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
I have ridden a YZ250F in the woods for almost three years now. I never gave the 19" rear wheel a second thought until it was time to order a new rear tire.

The YZF is a great woods bike unless you are riding really gnarly and tight terrain. Then the tall first gear can be a challenge and the suspension can be a little harsh. The only changes I have made were to remove some shims from the fork's base valves and to lower the oil level to 150mm. The rear works fine for me, stock.

I have ridden uncorked WRF's and I would still choose the YZF for the Michigan woods. The WRF's have great suspension (especially in gnarly terrain) but the motor is too soft for my tastes, both off the bottom and through the midrange. The YZF hits much harder, which is great when riding the sandy terrain in Michigan.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
from what i know about them is obviously the yz has a close ration tranny and the wr has a wide ratio, the motors while dementionaly the same but the exhaust cam profiles are different for each bike also the wr has a longer stroke and a bit more flywheel weight

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
RM-guy has some very good points and questions you need to ask yourself. try to figure out which bike will best suit your needs . Also try and figure out which one will be easier to modify for your specific compromise for all of your riding.
If you want a bike to do a lot of different things it would be in my opinion that it would be eaiser and cheaper to get more power out of the WR < exhaust cam and a bigger muffler insert will probably bring you the biggest change in power and unfortunately sound> then it would be to fit a wide ratio trans, lighting coil, lights and spark arrestor in the yz. Stock suspension settings should play a very important role here unless you immediately ship them out of for revalve. Are you a big leaper needing a motox set up or are you more interested in not getting beat to death trying to ride over rocks and logs and such

I wouldn't worry about an 18 or 19 " rim if it is a problem/dilemna for you you can usually pick up a spare rim for relatively cheap if you search the want ads /auction sites hard enough. That way you can have both if you interested in spec'ing your bike out for specific rides, or atleast a quick spare if you get a flat.

I have not owned a new four stroke 250 but I have owned a wr 400 and the old wr 250 two stroke. I have never had any problems with the 18 "rim or wide ratio trans on a mx track in the slow class I belong in but I have had run out of gearing wide open play riding motocross bikes. That and the lighting sells "ME" the WR.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom