18" wheel conversion for the CR500AF

Panzer

Oct 4, 2000
Sorry for turning this forum in to Panzer's personal dirtbike self help column but I am a bit of a neophyte and need some coddling...

Can everybody else let me now exactly what I need to make this metamorphoses?

I called "Pooh" at Service Honda and he suggested the following:
1. OEM '96 nipple and spoke Part #42610ML3405....$2.50X16
2. OEM '96 nipple and spoke Part #42611ML3405....$2.50X16
3. Excel 18" rim (width 2.15")............................$162.95X1

Questions:

1. Is this all I need? Would after market spokes and nipples be better?
2. Is is possible to simply purchase a completely assembled wheel? Would this be cost effective? Who sells this?
3. Is this the right rim? AJ and Thorman75 had suggested in another post that a wider rim would be better.

the 2.15 rim is the stock cr500 rim what you want is the 2.25.as per scott swinheart competition direct

What is this and where can I find it? Where do you guys buy your after market topend kits and etc..? Local or through mail order? The local dealers around me leave a lot to be desired so I was going to purchase through service honda but they said they only did stock OEM parts no after market stuff. Can someone help me spend my money?

Okay enough of my rambling...

:ugg:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Panzer..

I run the 2.15 /18" rim and the stock OEM 18 inch spokes..
basically what Pooh suggested to you on the phone.

I tend to buy an excell aftermarket rim just because i can get it a few dollars cheaper and in some color like black or gold yanno?

Most of the time i run a standard 19" though.

the 18 seems to be the ticket for desert or rocky terrain as you have a bit more sidewall for avoiding flats.

Top Bottom