KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Does this sound like a good price or a bit high? I've seen and ridden the bike. It appears to be in decent shape but does have a few little issues ie; bent handle bars and may need some topend work (hard to say, just a guess). It does have a nice FMF pipe and skid plate to it's credit. The asking price is 1850$, which I think is kinds high, what do you all think?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
NADA says ave. retail is $1500.00

If it was in mint I think you could give $1800
But if it needs Bars, Top end, and maybe some misc work - you'll have $2000-$2200 in it before you even know it.

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
Originally posted by Midhigh
NADA says ave. retail is $1500.00

If it was in mint I think you could give $1800
But if it needs Bars, Top end, and maybe some misc work - you'll have $2000-$2200 in it before you even know it.
That's what I was thinking too, however KBB gives it a retail of 2100$. I think I may offer him 1600$ and see what he does, otherwise I still might wait it out for a brand new one! Better to be safe than sorry.

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Asking price of $1800 sounds ok to me. As the seller he needs to start somewhere. Make him your offer and see what he says.

KDXFRK

Oct 29, 2003
New vs Used, this is the real question!! I would feel so much better about a new bike, but it's such a large sum of money. On the flip side a used one could end up costing me a boat load in repairs and upkeep if it had not been well taken care of.
What is all your take on it? Is there really much difference between a '97 and a '04?

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Bottom line is you have to feel comfortable with the purchase. Follow your gut. I bought a used 1996 KDX 200, but it was in absolute mint condition. I have put alot of $$ into it to get the way I wanted it. And would have had to put the same $$ in a new one get it the same way. An 2003-04 wouldn't have made me any faster or have a better bike other than I would have spent more $$.

If you are not sure about this bike, keep looking until you find the one that you feel good about. Be patient!!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
As in any thing, "It's how do you want it?" I have a ton of money in this used kdx. It came to me fairly clean. Then you start working on it and it starts adding up quick. Lets see rotors, brakes, master cylinder, chain & sprockets, swing arm bearing's, forks "seals, gold valves & bellows", shock new seals, cables, tires & HD tubes, clutch assembly, kick started lever, no toil & air filter, new seat cover, tall seat foam, jetting, top end rebuild & EG porting, stem bearing, wheel bearing's, alum handle bars, grips & fredette bark busters, IMS fuel Tank, forget it it's not for sale! I've too much into it? You see sometimes new is better! You most likely will not go nuts like I did but then again you might?

Last edited:

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
[You most likely will not go nuts like I did but then again you might? [/B][/QUOTE]

I feel your pain :laugh:

I did the same thing

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I bought my 97 220 used from a guy who hardly ever took it past 3rd gear and I've been very pleased with it. I was fortunate to have Sage help me find the bike. A customer of his was looking to sell at the same time that I was looking to buy. The only mod I needed to make right away was the pipe since the stocker was pretty bashed up and nasty. Since then I've only had to change out the bars due to all of my attempts at mowing down trees.

Buying used wasn't a problem for me since I knew the history of the bike (for the mostpart). If you really aren't comfortable with buying a used bike then don't. When you're making a purchase like this make sure it's really what you WANT. :cool: Good luck with your decision.

riverz

Jun 25, 2003
Obviously buying used is always buyer beware. I bought a used KDX. It was a shi77y mechanical bike wrapped in nice new plastic. I ended up paying an extra 25 percent in repairs just so i could dump the bike and get a new one. It was a 93, not a 97 so of course it had more hours but it was my first bike and i was naive.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KDXFRK - Do some comparative shopping of other used bikes on the market to see how they stack up against the bike you are looking at. Blue book values are only one factor. You have to decide what a given bike is worth to you. Price out what new/replacement parts would cost you to get the bike in the shape you want it in.

You can definitely save a lot of money and time by buying a good used bike.

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
This is the description of an '01 KDX220 that I'm in the process of buying. Sight unseen, hope I get lucky!

"Bikes Needs Nuthing, Fmf, Protapers, Rear Brake On Handle Bar Clutch Side, Efm No-stall Auto Clutch
New Tires, Brakes, Top End, Head Lite. 2300.00"

alleycat

Sep 25, 2002
I just bought a 1999 kdx 200 off of ebay for 1625.00. It even worked out so the seller was able to deliver the bike to me from Salt Lake City to Reno Nevada for no charge. The bike is super clean and I would rank it a 9.25 out of 10. Im so glad I bought it. It rides much nicer than 1994 kdx 200. My point is the deals are out there you just need be on the look for them.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
Check your local redneck 4wheeler/dirtbike/snowmobile swap meet.... I bought an '01 KDX 200 for $1600 at one of those (mint condition, less the superficial damage from the accident that scared the kid off of it, and into his dads garage for a 2 years.... the kids dad actualy THANKED me for getting it off his garage floor)...

They (the newer KDX's) were runnning a solid $400-$500 cheaper at this thing than in the paper.... I couldn't even find a deal that sweet on Ebay!!... There are LOTS of KDX's out there, so the competition at these things can be high, bringing the prices down... I scoured the crowd on the first day and took #'s of the people who had bikes I liked and liked the price on... waited till the last day and called them all back to see who had sold and who hadn't... then I low balled the bike I liked best, and the guy waited exactly 3.8 seconds to say "deal" at my offer of $1600... (I bet he'd have gone lower, but I felt bad enough already)

Shop smart and you can save a LOT of money...

P.S.- bike runs great, only things wrong are the things I have broken since I got it.... LOL

Top Bottom