19 inch kx rear wheel on a1986 kdx200

sas66

Oct 22, 2001
My dad and I are getting a 19 inch kx250 wheel (for free) and We are going to mount it on our 1986 kdx200 Inorder to convert it to disk rear. I know that the one inch bigger rim would give use less chain adjustment because if you put the tire forward it could rub the swingarm but it will have a little more ground clearance. We have the other parts needed to convert it to disk break. Does anyone out there have any ideas of the benifets or disadvantages of the 19 inch rear wheel. Has anyone done this before?? I know that an1987 kx125 wheel would work but hay this wheel was free! It does fit on the bike just fine.;)

teton

Dec 13, 2000
There probably is no difference in diameter between a 19" and a 18" wheel, why you ask, the 19" tire is a lower profile tire, make that way so there is less side wall flex compared to a 18" tire, that is one reason that most offroad bikes come with a 18". More side wall means more flex, which will give you a better ride and less of a chance for pinch flats. Kawasaki use's the same hub on almost all there bikes, there is a difference in the axle size, but you can change the wheel bearings if you have to. There should be no problems with the wheel fitting in the swingarm, again the tire is a lower profile than the 18, and actually there is only a 1/2" difference, the wheel is 1" larger but thats measured from side to side (side of the rim to side of the rim) not measrued from the hub out:confused: know Im messed up !!

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
you will find that there aren't as many tire selections available for the 19 in as there is for the 18. probably won't make any difference to you since you only have 200 cc's. i wont run anything smaller than a 120 width on my 500, and there just isn't that much selection out there in the bigger sizes for the 19 in wheel.

Top Bottom