91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
My neighbor has got an older RM 250 that I am thinking about buying. Its an older model, I think late 80s early 90s. Its got inverted forks. It looks to be in good condition, with just minor problems, but I was wondering if there is anything I should look out for with this model of bike, any defects and such. I will see If I can find out the exact year, and let yall know. Thanks for your help in advance..

Ben

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
If it has inverted forks it has to be at least an 89, it should also have the case reed motor also 89-90's had KYB suspenion and in 91 they went to showa's. There were good bikes nothing majorly wrong with them other than they didn't have inverted forks quite figured out then and the clutches weren't the best. Baskets for older suzooks are notoriously known for notching up. They also used the case reed motor in the RMX 250 also.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I found out today that the bike is a 1989. I was wondering if it would be hard to find certain parts for this bike because its older, even though its a very common bike. What exactly is a case reed motor?? I have an idea about what it is, but I would like to know if I am wrong. I want to be some what positive that there are not cronic problems with this model of bike. Everthing seems to be in okay condition. Just needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. It may need some bearings in the future though. I will see if my neighbor will let me take the head off and check the piston and cylinder. Let me know what yall think. Thanks

Ben

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Where the reed block enter threw the cases not the back of the cylinder. Parts shouldn't be too hard to get for the bike i'm sure alot of them are still out there since the RMX used the same motor when it was new in '89 till 98! with very minor changes. The RM 250 it's self used that motor design till '95, but there where over the years some minor clutch changes (mostly durabilty mods) I think the 94 model is sorta stand alone in that area (the clutch basket diameter was made smaller? ) look around for parts I'm sure most of the motor and bearings (got threw a bearing distributor for those) and suspenion parts shouldn't be hard to come by. It was also the first year of the 19" rear tire the forks on first gen KYB inverted 41mm's and it was the only inverted fork that year that had adjustable comp and rebound. I think the only thing that was dumb about the bike was the right side cover doesn't have a quick access cover (was pretty stupid for a new motor back then) you might have a hard time finding stuff like swingarms, hubs, triple clamps that sorta stuff but thats what **** is for.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
Howdy,
Thanks for the reply, that helps me out a lot. I will go and take another look at it sometime within the next couple of weeks, before I make my final decision.Thanks again

Benjamin

Top Bottom