Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I have installed 13/52 sprockets (SX400). Although it is much better than stock, the gearing is still a bit tall for my likings. My question is, will the 18" wheel make a noticable difference in the final drive? And what are the advantages of 18"/19". Please feel free to describe your own experiences with 18" vs 19", and the conditions where you feel one is better the other. Thanks!

kciH

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 28, 2002
The 18" wheel is supposed to be much less succeptible to flats. The 19" wheel is supposed to corner easier. Enduro/CC=18" MX/SX=19" The diameter of the wheels is usually the same once there is a tire on it. The 18" tires usually have a higher aspect ratio which makes up for the smaller diameter rim. I'm sure it's not exactly the same, but it's close.

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
I am about to go 18" on my 400. The response above I agree with completely. I do not believe it changes the height at all. The sidewall on the 18" is taller and less susceptible to flatting. I believe the 18" also has a larger footprint on the bike (more bite to the ground).

I have several rims ready to go I just need the hub. I am ordering it tomorrow. I will let you know any performance differences once laced.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
The 19" came from motocross, Reason weight, the 19" and the 18" have the same overall height. Honda got this from NASCAR; one pound of moving mass is worth 4-horse power. A 19" tire weighs 1 to 1.5 lbs. Less Than an 18" tire.
The 18" has more sidewall and is less susceptible to flats under low air pressure and that’s why enduro bikes still have 18" wheels.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Hmm, some very interesting responses;
KciH, I measured the circumference of each, and they are almost identical.(the 18" I have has some wear on it)
Bonehead,...The 19" tire IS noticably lighter, just by picking it up!
I guess if I want to lower the final drive more, I will have to install a 54t rear sprocket, (longer chain required). I know some guys have used 12t counter shaft sprockets, but, I have been told that this puts too much stress on the counter shaft itself. Thanks Guys

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
Countershalf torque stress would be the same with either a 12, 13, or 14 tooth sprocket. However, the smaller sprokets cause higher stresses on the chain due to the tight bending radius: Also higher stresses are placed on the individual teeth of the countershalf sprockets, since the chain is in contact with fewer number of teeth on the sprocket.

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Just get a KX500 and you won't have to worry about power loss with a 18". ;)

If it wern't for these darn desert rocks, I wouldn't be too concerned about going with a 18" wheel. Now that there are some great tires out there like the Dunlop Desert AT 739 you can get by with a 19" in off road without worrying about flats. I run a 18" just to be even more safe. Never had a flat yet!

Top Bottom