HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Hey, my dad just got home and he said we got a new motorcycle. Guess what I saw in the back on his truck, a old kawasaki triple. It's in pieces though, like there just the frame, then the engine, and all the accessories and crap in a box. The thing is in pretty good condition for it's age! The gas tank is clean, not even rusted. Frame isn't rusted at all. It's a 350, but it's in pieces so it look like I've got a new project, and a great learning experience here. Any comments? I hear they're fast but have horrible brakes. Later.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Bad fuel mileage, also. The Kawasaki triples were created by Satan to rule the American streets and deprive of us a generation of our finest youth. :p

Just Kidding! (not about the mileage, though). The triples, especially the early 500's, have enough of a cult following that there must be a good web site somewhere with the info you need. My cousin had a 250 that spit him off and my neighbor still has his 500 Mach 1 from his misspent youth (his eyes glaze over when he talks of 90 mph wheelies).

As a rule the triples (especially the early years) are very fast compared to other bikes of similar displacement, but not so good in the handling department. Sounds like a fun project, but be careful on the road!

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
??

Hmmm... 90 mph wheelies? Now on the new bikes they do 130 mph wheelies while standing. LoL, yes they made triples. I'm going to look up some stuff about them. Later.

woodchuck

May 2, 2000
I recently had one offered to me for free

Yes its true. A salesperson whom I am aquinted with knows I like motorcycles and offered me one that has been in his garage since about 1980.Not riden other than started a couple times in the last 10 years. It was an early 70's kawasaki tripple in beautiful condition. However since his company is a supplier to the company i work for it was a "conflict of interest" for me to accept anything valued over $50, darn.:( Therefore, I passed on the bike.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Oh........

Well I got this thing for free, not in beautyfull condition sadly. Looks ok though, like I said frame hasn't been crashed nothings tweaked or anything. Body pieces look good though, gas tank has no rust or anything. Well gtg later.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you go to www.google.com and search Kawasaki triple 350 you'll get like 2400 hits. Saw one page with message boards and parts info. On another saw a clean '75 350 triple listed for sale at $1,200. If you've got a good sound system on your computer, you can hear a nice 500 triple at the drags. A lot of those early 70's street bikes don't have that much value, but they are still really cool, IMO.:)

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
Thanks.......

Thanks guys, I'm checking the site out right now. Looks like this is going to be a full restoration project. My dad wants to, he is in love with this bike as much as I am. Going to sand down the frame and repaint it, then going to replace all the screws on the frame with stainless steal. Re-chrome the front fender, going to chrome the swing arm, the kickstand and the spring for it. New handle bars. Re-paint the body work, original colors and paint on the pin stripes. We're going to take pics of all of it first. Rebuild the motor, bad news the crank is rusted on one cylinder. Carbon build up on all of the pistons, the heads look good though. The engine on the outside is pretty dirty, my uncle is going to do the bottom end for us. But we're going to be there watching, and I'll be learning. New tires, an after market front brake, because I hear they're pretty crappy. So I'll be able to stop. This is going to be my bike. It was going to be garbage. My dad saved it though. Well talk to you later.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom