1973 Yamaha GT1 Fork Spring(s)

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I pulled apart the forks on this bike last night to replace the fork seals and only one fork had a spring in it! The inside fork parts were different on each side. Could the bike have been designed this way?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds like it-if it was designed to have 2 springs it would be really really soft now.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I'm just guessing here, but I don't think anybody was doing anything that weird back then. It's supposed to have a spring in each leg.

You could go to a Yamaha dealer and look at his parts book.

Last edited:

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
I have a parts manual and it only shows one fork exploded. The parts manual shows two different part numbers for springs, the first requires two, the second requires one. Top Dog Yamaha thought this might be a misprint in the parts manual, but their service manager thought maybe the 1 spring in my bike was correct.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Well, that is a mystery. :confused:

You know, Rick Doughty at Vintage Iron might know. He puts all kinds of old junk back together for people. www.vintageiron.com

TVRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 29, 2002
VD,

Thanks for you suggestion, I spoke with Rick at Vintage Iron and he was certain that my bike should only have a fork spring on 1 side. He said GT1 was the wrong designation for that bike, that it is actually at GT80.

Thanks again :thumb:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
TVRider, It's not trouble for me. :) Actually, one of these I need to drive out to sunny SoCal and meet Rick. He may still have a Maico that will make my life complete. :confused:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…