1974 DT 360 Enduro

Well I finally found my parts, Yamatopdog.com had em.
I have yet to get an email back from them. Do any of you guys know if they sell replacement cylinder bolts/head bolts etc? I have a DT 360 in pretty good shape. The motor was blown due to riding without a breather pipe (idiodic former owner!) and so I have to bore it and polish the head up. Does anyone have any recommendations about this bike? I am very new to bike restoration, but I love this bike. I have had a HELL of a time finding info on this bike, spent 6 months already just to find the piston to put in it! Nobody had the freakin rings! Any help would be appreciated!

I'm assuming this bike is so rare nobody even knows about it? Any thoughts would be appreciated! I want to know everything about this bike, and if there are any more out there! Thanks guys.

35 people have viewed this and still no talkin! lol. Does anyone know ANYTHING about a '74 DT360?

Hey, I have a 73 Yamaha MX250 and I definitely know how you feel. Its a real pain to get parts for these bikes. It took me a four months to get a head bolt! If I come across anything ill be sure to msg you.

my neighbor has one of those 360 enduros. Cool bikes. Head bolts...are they the ones that are hollow, and go down thru the head and thread onto the studs coming out of the cases?

I bet they are a pain to find.. Id be inclined to take a large diameter bold, cut it off, drill it out and tap it....but thats just me...

The 74 DT360 was apparently the first model to have the resevoirs on the rear shocks, amazing ride! Huge engine too. Does anyone know if yamatopdog.com takes yamaha cards, considering they are a yamaha dealer... anyone know? Thanks for the replies guys. If you have a pic of your 73MX250 send it on down. I'll reply with some pics of mine.

And yeah, its those bolts. LoL.

Well apparently speedandsportinc.com does not take yamaha cards- over the phone that is. Apparently Yamaha won't allow over-the-phone use of yamaha cards, so looks like I am taking a 7 hour trip to Pennsylvania. Oh and yes, it's those bolts that go through the cylinder all the way down. I'm not much of a machine shop type guy, could I get bolts made somewhere? If so, how much would something like that run?

Anyone interested on keeping updated on the process of my restoration?
I think I am going to setup a website, but for now I can update here, as long as people want to know!

Dave Wood

Subscriber
All the DT-1's I ever saw where 250's, the 360 was a RT-1. At-1 was the 125, CT-1 was the 175...

Enduro_Nut

Subscriber
Yes, I would like to see it. My first enduro was ridden on my dads friends 360 which I proceeded to ride about 30 miles and sink it in a mud hole! :eek:
I own a '76 DT400, it hasn't run since '81. Still parked in my garage along with my '71 JT2 60cc, both need to be restored! I started about 5 years ago on my 400 and it was a pain in the arse to get parts. Ebay is a great source though. They are a great bike for the era.
Keep us updated! :thumb:

KMP

I own a 1974 DT360A, and I feel your pain! I bought mine non-running in November, and I've found parts to be pretty scarce! Ebay has been the best source I've found. One source I would try for various parts would be bikeboneyard.com. He's got TONS of bikes/parts, including a `74 DT360!

As for headbolts, I'll bet the 360/400's from `74 -`76 would fit, but I'd look up the part number at Yamahamotor.com first to be sure. From what I've found, the `74 has very little in common with all the previous DT's, and the next radical changes were in `77.

Got any pictures of your machine? Mine's modified slightly, including the paint. I just got my back from getting the cylinder honed and new rings, since the piston it came with is a Wiseco, and it was saveable. Once I get that done, then it's off to clean the tank, carburetor, and troubleshoot the wiring!

Good to hear someone else out there with a 30-year old cool prototype Yamaha enduro! :eek:

Bob.

I'll get some pictures soon. I bought a used tach on ebay because of the old ones min-pin being busted and the dial free-spun. It's for a DT360 as well. I believe the guy @ speedandsport said he has the bolts in stock, I have to doublecheck on monday. So glad to see someone with a true DT360A! I've been on ebay since last summer looking for parts for this thing, and found just about nothing. Finally got a guy parting one out just a week ago. I've seen some other 360's on there but no parts I need.
Here's a list of the pieces I don't have/need work:

Cylinder-Trashed! Getting Rebored, head cleaned, new piston/rings 3rd over.

Breather Pipe between airbox/carb. - Fixed using automobile coolant hose & heavy tape!

Lighting - only light on the bike is the headlight, and I don't think it works :|

Wiring - Well mechanical wiring seems good, the bike was running when I got it. Lighting wiring on the other hand, eh, what wiring? hah I'm quite positive my coil is in perfect working order though, the bike only has 3k miles on it!

Seat - Seat pan is a bit rusty, and the seat is in rough shape...

Exaust- perfect

Tank- few dents, nothing major. Slightly rusty interior but nothing a good fuel filter can't fix. Didn't even clog up once over the 10 or so hours of run time I had on the bike.

Tires- eh, bad. Brakes are almost gone as well, but the rims are perfect!

Transmission/Crankcase - mint! Too bad since I took the cylinder off I left it outside and it got a wee bit of rust on the upper side of the crank, but I can buzz that off, and flush the whole system a few times.

I'm chargin ye old digital camera batteries in the morning, take some pics and have em up by afternoon. For now, check http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=9569 because that's exactly what my bike looks like, color and all! Except imagine the seat smashed up and the lights stripped, lol.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys w/ the 74 360's? I personally just turned 21 on Friday, and am loving this whole restoration! I've been riding quads for a while now, bikes are a new thing to me. But with this whole ordeal, I've decided I want to try Motorcycle repair courses online and get a technician degree and try a career in motorcycle repair! Thanks for all the replies guys!

Oh and just so you guys know, I am working on my new website right now! Soon to be a DT360 restoration page, as I have not found a single one on the net as of yet!

:yeehaw: <--wierd, but cool! haha

Oh about this:
All the DT-1's I ever saw where 250's, the 360 was a RT-1. At-1 was the 125, CT-1 was the 175...
It's not an RT or a DT-1, its a DT360A :cool:
Trust me, took me 3 fricken months just to sort out all this DT/RD/DT-1/DR hooplah! lol

1974 dt360a

:) hello i just started reading your forum i have been parting up for my restoration for about ten years now. i have a couple of 74 360s i have a genuine parts manual if i can help you guy's locate your parts let me know i will look for your question and e address. bobmmor