dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Well I finally found my parts, Yamatopdog.com had em.
I have yet to get an email back from them. Do any of you guys know if they sell replacement cylinder bolts/head bolts etc? I have a DT 360 in pretty good shape. The motor was blown due to riding without a breather pipe (idiodic former owner!) and so I have to bore it and polish the head up. Does anyone have any recommendations about this bike? I am very new to bike restoration, but I love this bike. I have had a HELL of a time finding info on this bike, spent 6 months already just to find the piston to put in it! Nobody had the freakin rings! Any help would be appreciated!

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
I'm assuming this bike is so rare nobody even knows about it? Any thoughts would be appreciated! I want to know everything about this bike, and if there are any more out there! Thanks guys.

74YaMaHoRe

Mar 8, 2004
Hey, I have a 73 Yamaha MX250 and I definitely know how you feel. Its a real pain to get parts for these bikes. It took me a four months to get a head bolt! If I come across anything ill be sure to msg you.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
my neighbor has one of those 360 enduros. Cool bikes. Head bolts...are they the ones that are hollow, and go down thru the head and thread onto the studs coming out of the cases?

I bet they are a pain to find.. Id be inclined to take a large diameter bold, cut it off, drill it out and tap it....but thats just me...

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
The 74 DT360 was apparently the first model to have the resevoirs on the rear shocks, amazing ride! Huge engine too. Does anyone know if yamatopdog.com takes yamaha cards, considering they are a yamaha dealer... anyone know? Thanks for the replies guys. If you have a pic of your 73MX250 send it on down. I'll reply with some pics of mine.

And yeah, its those bolts. LoL.

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Well apparently speedandsportinc.com does not take yamaha cards- over the phone that is. Apparently Yamaha won't allow over-the-phone use of yamaha cards, so looks like I am taking a 7 hour trip to Pennsylvania. Oh and yes, it's those bolts that go through the cylinder all the way down. I'm not much of a machine shop type guy, could I get bolts made somewhere? If so, how much would something like that run?

Anyone interested on keeping updated on the process of my restoration?
I think I am going to setup a website, but for now I can update here, as long as people want to know!

Dave Wood

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2000
All the DT-1's I ever saw where 250's, the 360 was a RT-1. At-1 was the 125, CT-1 was the 175...

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Yes, I would like to see it. My first enduro was ridden on my dads friends 360 which I proceeded to ride about 30 miles and sink it in a mud hole! :eek:
I own a '76 DT400, it hasn't run since '81. Still parked in my garage along with my '71 JT2 60cc, both need to be restored! I started about 5 years ago on my 400 and it was a pain in the arse to get parts. Ebay is a great source though. They are a great bike for the era.
Keep us updated! :thumb:

KMP

Mar 30, 2004
I own a 1974 DT360A, and I feel your pain! I bought mine non-running in November, and I've found parts to be pretty scarce! Ebay has been the best source I've found. One source I would try for various parts would be bikeboneyard.com. He's got TONS of bikes/parts, including a `74 DT360!

As for headbolts, I'll bet the 360/400's from `74 -`76 would fit, but I'd look up the part number at Yamahamotor.com first to be sure. From what I've found, the `74 has very little in common with all the previous DT's, and the next radical changes were in `77.

Got any pictures of your machine? Mine's modified slightly, including the paint. I just got my back from getting the cylinder honed and new rings, since the piston it came with is a Wiseco, and it was saveable. Once I get that done, then it's off to clean the tank, carburetor, and troubleshoot the wiring!

Good to hear someone else out there with a 30-year old cool prototype Yamaha enduro! :eek:

Bob.

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
I'll get some pictures soon. I bought a used tach on ebay because of the old ones min-pin being busted and the dial free-spun. It's for a DT360 as well. I believe the guy @ speedandsport said he has the bolts in stock, I have to doublecheck on monday. So glad to see someone with a true DT360A! I've been on ebay since last summer looking for parts for this thing, and found just about nothing. Finally got a guy parting one out just a week ago. I've seen some other 360's on there but no parts I need.
Here's a list of the pieces I don't have/need work:

Cylinder-Trashed! Getting Rebored, head cleaned, new piston/rings 3rd over.

Breather Pipe between airbox/carb. - Fixed using automobile coolant hose & heavy tape!

Lighting - only light on the bike is the headlight, and I don't think it works :|

Wiring - Well mechanical wiring seems good, the bike was running when I got it. Lighting wiring on the other hand, eh, what wiring? hah I'm quite positive my coil is in perfect working order though, the bike only has 3k miles on it!

Seat - Seat pan is a bit rusty, and the seat is in rough shape...

Exaust- perfect

Tank- few dents, nothing major. Slightly rusty interior but nothing a good fuel filter can't fix. Didn't even clog up once over the 10 or so hours of run time I had on the bike.

Tires- eh, bad. Brakes are almost gone as well, but the rims are perfect!

Transmission/Crankcase - mint! Too bad since I took the cylinder off I left it outside and it got a wee bit of rust on the upper side of the crank, but I can buzz that off, and flush the whole system a few times.

I'm chargin ye old digital camera batteries in the morning, take some pics and have em up by afternoon. For now, check http://www.bikez.com/bike/index.php?bike=9569 because that's exactly what my bike looks like, color and all! Except imagine the seat smashed up and the lights stripped, lol.

Just out of curiosity, how old are you guys w/ the 74 360's? I personally just turned 21 on Friday, and am loving this whole restoration! I've been riding quads for a while now, bikes are a new thing to me. But with this whole ordeal, I've decided I want to try Motorcycle repair courses online and get a technician degree and try a career in motorcycle repair! Thanks for all the replies guys!

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Oh and just so you guys know, I am working on my new website right now! Soon to be a DT360 restoration page, as I have not found a single one on the net as of yet!

:yeehaw: <--wierd, but cool! haha

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Oh about this:
All the DT-1's I ever saw where 250's, the 360 was a RT-1. At-1 was the 125, CT-1 was the 175...

It's not an RT or a DT-1, its a DT360A :cool:
Trust me, took me 3 fricken months just to sort out all this DT/RD/DT-1/DR hooplah! lol

bobmmor

Apr 10, 2004
1974 dt360a

:) hello i just started reading your forum i have been parting up for my restoration for about ten years now. i have a couple of 74 360s i have a genuine parts manual if i can help you guy's locate your parts let me know i will look for your question and e address. bobmmor

KMP

Mar 30, 2004
I'm putting the cylinder back on mine this week. Fortunately, a guy I work with helped me clean it up, and I had the cylinder honed. One thing I learned so far: I'll NEVER try honing myself! I watched the guy do it, and it made me realize that even this simple-seeming procedure is best left to an experienced mechanic. The other thing I learned is that the decompressor needs attention on these machines. Mine had blow-by problems due to an out-of-spec crush gasket and gum and varnish. Took a lot of bottle brushing and cleansing to get it back to good working order.

The wiring is also a problem on this machine. I'm going over it soon and cleaning the contacts and checking for continuity and good grounds. Also, the DT360A has no voltage regulator, and in the back of the factory service manual the offer one, and installation procedures. I found one used on Ebay, so I'm going to give it a try. They use one on all bikes after `76. Mine had rot on the rubber connections on the CDI. I've decided to scrap the connectors in favor of new ones, since they were so rotted and deplated. I'm not about restoration, just rejuvination! I just saw a whole magneto/stator assy sell for the DT360A for 91 bucks. What a deal! Sorry I missed that one.

Also being addressed is the carburetor. It's all cleaned up, but that damn O-ring in the float bowl is toast, so I'm going to order one from Yamaha.

I'll post photos of mine soon, if you're interested.

KMP.

original dirt

Aug 17, 2000
Other parts sources for Vintage dirt Yamaha's are:The Cycle Center, Culpepper, VA 540-825-5544, and Valley Cycle Center, Winchester, VA 540-667-1893 (aslo have Suzuki and Kaw). The Cycle Center has been buying up old Yam DT/RT/CT/AT/GT/JT parts inventories for years and has several storage trailers full of parts. Valley Cycle has an incredible inventory of vintage Yam/Suz/Kaw parts street and dirt. At Valley Cycle you'll need to talk to Russell the parts mgr.
BTW the Yam 360's were notorious for blowing up the tranny's, especially the MX versions...cases destroyed etc. Fixed many of them back then.
OD

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
My buddies riding an MX 360 all around as well as well as the 465 and 490s . the 360 motors all seem to share common parts but have different gear ratios and stuff ,Weve peiced these motors together before . Spped & sport is a good dealer . Right now were looking for a 3rd gear countershaft(wheel)gear for a 81 YZ 465H part#3R5-17231-03-00. if any body knows or has a bottom end spread the word Y'all. Thanks P.S. good 465/490 clutch baskets always :flame: welcome also.

Last edited:

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Wow lots of replies while I was rebuilding my PC! Anyway, I went to speednsport in PA and got :
Piston Kit 3rd Over
Front and Rear brake pads
Nuts/Bolts to replace old worn ones that hold the cylinder and head on
Parts Manual (free!)

I am cleaning the bike up today to bring it to the dealer to have the cylinder bored and the head polished (since it looks like a bubbling pancake!). I remember when the bike was running the tranny was amazing. I have to clean up the carb (again since it's been in my trunk for 3 months!) clean up the airbox and then drain the crankcase and clean it up, it's been outside over the winter wide open. My mechanic told me that the little bit of surface rust on the crank itself is no issue. I asked him if I should buff it off but he said leave it. I assume the oil and closed case will prevent oxygen from making the rust worse. I hope I can get this thing running very soon! Thanks for the posts guys, this bike is so cool!

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Why the heck has E-B-A-Y been blanked out from my prior posts, as well as others? It is one of the best, if not THE best source for ANYTHING. What's up?

dpawl

Mar 3, 2004
Well in less that two weeks I will be getting my bike bored and what not, and having the top end put together. Few questions from you pros. The tires themselves have some slight tire rot on the sides, but the tread is good and rot free, and the tubes have held perfect pressure since we filled them last spring, after riding it for about 6 hours and it has sat outside all winter. The pressure is still the same. Should I get tires before I ride it? I know I need to get them eventually but can I afford to ride them as is? I really just want to get it and ride. I've been waiting nearly a year to ride this beast. Also, any recommendations on creating a custom seat? The seat pan is in tough shape, but still hinges and still holds weight. The cover and foam however are horrible. Recommended foam to put in? Duct tape it on and cover with more tape? Also, how involved is brake pad removal and installation? It has front and rear drum brakes. Thanks again!

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I have an old Yahama CT frame laying around my yard, used it for parts. I was wondering what it was and I just relized seeing the letters CT on the VIN number, thanks for that information on the models.

I went to that one site with the DT360 information you gave.. Looks like a sturdy bike, but I wouldn't really know because I don't have much experience with dirtbikes (about 3 weeks now).

clm7988

May 2, 2005
on my dt 175 i got front and rear drum brakes and i thought they were very easy to switch the pads and i have been in the sport for about a month

Last edited:

Colorado

Apr 2, 2005
I was the oficial pit crew for my best friend's first enduro --- on a '69 or '70 360 (black tank- red stripe). [I can't remember why my '74 KS125 wasn't entered.] It had a fresh top end, but no break in (the 360). He made it about 25 miles before locking up. I was driving the camper to a checkpoint and saw the 30' skid mark on a pavement portion --- knew it had to be him before I saw the bike.

We were 16 and 17, the enduro was in Roselawn, IN, so we used our rider/crew passes to get into Naked City for free. That was scary. They had an airstrip, and I remember driving in past it and seeing a rider in his MX boots and leathers (old school) with no shirt talking to some naked guy at the end of the strip. Some ancient (probably 40) fat naked lady was behind the desk where they signed us in. Then a R.R. style gate shaped like a female leg rose to let us in, and it scared me when it went back down behind us.

We kept our clothes on, and didn't stay long. At least we had a story after the bike siezed early.

Top Bottom