1974 Kawasaki KS 125 Spark Problems

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
I don't know whether I should put this in the vintage bike forum or here. If it is in the wrong place I am sorry.

I picked this bike up after sitting for 10 years and the motor seized, I freed up the motor and got the bike running for a few seconds the other day. Today I go to see if I have spark, and I don't have consistent spark, when I flip the run/off switch back and forth I will have spark, but if I leave it in the Run position it won't spark, and same if I leave it in the Off position. Like I said if I flip it back and forth while kicking the motor over, then it will every time ths switch is flipped. Does anybody have any idea what is going on here?

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Sounds like your switch is knackered. Buy a new one or remove it all together and make sure that the wires don't short out on the frame, handlebars etc...

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
Morvo said:
Sounds like your switch is knackered. Buy a new one or remove it all together and make sure that the wires don't short out on the frame, handlebars etc...

Thats what I thought too, but I took the switch apart and disconnected the wires and still no spark.

Last edited:

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
I hooked up another switch (automotive foglight switch) to it and it still didn't have any spark?? Is the factory switch some kind of a special switch or something??

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
Well, we determined that the switch is ok, and then we connected the coil directly to the magneto and we did not get a spark. How can I tell if my magneto is toast?

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
Do a resistance/continuity test from the coils/magneto as to what your manual specifys. You could also try measuring the voltage output from the coils when kicking the bike over and see if it's generating enough power.

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
Ok, we narrowed the problem down to the condenser being bad. We tried to get the flywheel off but it is stuck on there. We used almost an entire can of PB Penetrant and a bearing puller, but to no avail. Is there any special technique to taking the flywheel off? We used a bearing pull, but it kept wanting to slip off of the crank and the crank shaft end started to loose its center hole. We figure we have to use a torch and an impact gun to get it off.

Morvo

Oct 31, 2005
You have to use a flywheel puller mate. It might be a tw@t to remove especially if you haven't removed it in years. You have put loads of lubricate on the crankshaft which is good, WD-40 etc... are all good for removing seized/stuck parts, just spray plenty in and around the crankshaft.

74saki

Oct 28, 2005
I pulled the motor from the bike and I will attempt to pull the fly wheel off. Does the umber 1 on the top of the old piston mean that it is the first over bore?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom