OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
After ten years of storage, I'm getting ready to auction off my '75 TM400, but first I want to start it up and give it the "once over".
I've never used the oil injection system and had no trouble using pre-mix, but I've heard that crank damage can occur without it. However I found this in a search:
ComradeMikhail said:
...I was reading my manual for the bike (Clymer manual for bikes of that era) about the oil pump and it said "The oil pump cannot be completly removed without causing serious damage to the crankshaft except in TS/TM400 models"...
So here's my conundrum...
A. - Can I crank it up and run it around a bit on pre-mix as I've always done? You know, just to check things out?
B. - How do I go about putting the oil injection pump back into service and assuring that it is set and functioning properly? A working FI system would increase the value of the bike.
Also, the rear shocks have NO damping effect whatsoever. Is there any way of restoring/reconditioning the stock shocks?

Isobareng

Oct 16, 2007
Ok my old memory is a bit stretched here but in the most basic form once you fill your oil injection tank remove the cover on the injection pump r/h side if memory serves correctly then remove the bleed screw and allow / make sure oil is flowing from the tank. secure the screw and make sure that the cable to the pump is working with the throttle cable. Start the bike and ensure a mixture of oil and fuel is being fed to the engine!!!!!!
If in doubt run it on pre mix and ensure no air is added to the the engine thru the oil injection circuit. as far as the shocks go if there is a removable seal pack that will make an oil change easier if not a good welder will let you drill a hole in the base drain the oil weld a nut over the hole refill with oil and close the hole with a bolt and o ring
Hope this helps

D

D

Top Bottom