1976 honda xl 250 need to get running again

cooldude

May 7, 2007
i need someones help on my bike i was riding it last night and came around a turn i down shifted and all of a sudden it cracked and poped then stalled couldnt get it fired after that i wasnt reving it up very high i kept it at about 7 grand when i would nail it so i wouldnt over rev it i really need help i had the top end rebuilt new timing chain and gear and an exaust valve

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
cooldude said:
i had the top end rebuilt new timing chain and gear and an exaust valve

If you paid to have this work done, then you may want to take it back and have the mechanic check it out.

If you want to check it yourself, here is what to do.

First remove the spark plug and the valve inspection caps. Slowly turn the engine over and check that both rocker arms are moving the valves. Check for proper clearance on both valves. Should be about .002 on the intake and .003 on the exhaust. Then, attach the spark plug to the high tension lead and lay the plug on the head. Kick the engine over and check for spark.

Then put your finger over the spark plug hole and kick the engine over and check for initial compression. If all of those things check out ok, then remove the side cover and cam cover and check for proper cam timing. Refer to your manual for this. If you don't have a manual, get one.

Also, make sure you are getting fuel to the carb and the carb is clean. Remove the drain plug or open the drain screw on the float bowl and turn the petcock on. Make sure you have fuel flow from the carb.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
cooldude said:
there is no spark at all so the cam timing should be ok could it be the coil or points?

Yes it could. Make sure the points are clean and gapped correctly.

Also, check your wiring for a loose or disconnected connector.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom