kzrider

Oct 20, 2006
hi all,
i just have some qustions that maybe some of you guys might know. well, we have a 1977 ke 175 kawasaki one cylinder two stroke that is a dirtbike. it runs ok besides the tank being all rusted inside. which i just bought a tank off ****, just waiting for it. anyways i have this question. when my son go's to use his bike and try's to start the bike it takes like 10 times before it stays runing. when he try's to start it, it starts then dies right aways this happens for like 10 to 12 times. so he plays with the choke for a while until it starts and stays running. once it starts and stays running , every kick start after that starts the bike right up, but only when it stays running will it start right up after that. is their any adjustment in the carb or anywhere else that i need to mess with to get this thing to at least start and stay running after like the second or therd try? thanks. if you all need pix let me know. bike,carb.????? :(

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Take the carb apart and soak it overnight in carb cleaner. Then clean it well, paying particular attention to the pilot jet (the brass jet that will have the smaller number on it). If you don't have an air compressor, buy one of the cans of air to clean computers with. Then put an inline fuel filter between the tank and carb. Good luck.

kzrider

Oct 20, 2006
did.

thanks 2strokerfun, i have cleaned the carb out a bit back but did not soak it over nite. will do though. now i am ganna take a pix of this carb to show all what it looks like. the bowl is really pitted and on the carb side too. but like i said its only hard to start the first try of the day. after that it starts with no problem.here are the pix's, now as you can see, the only adjusting screws that are their is the one in front of the carb and the one thats on the side. thanks. well, i tryed to post pix but the site will not let me. if anyone would like pix's let me know.sorry.

KE250 Rider

Apr 23, 2009
the choke is reverse of most bikes.... on KE 175 and EK 250, 77-79...
pulling the Choke lever up closes the choke...

Also the choke will only work if you DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE.. on Start...
What i found is I NEVER CHOKE MY BIKE.... if cold I just blip the throttle twice and kick over...

my KE Always starts on first kick...

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
I had a ke 175, a 75' I think!

couldnt kill that beast. I sold it to a kid for $250 after I spent more than that on new tires and a spark arrestor. :nener:

the carbs on those bikes were tiny! I was really suprised!

it's under the cover on the clutch-side of the motor, right?

I stripped that thing down to the frame sometimes just for fun, a great learner bike! have fun with that dinosaur!

just pm me if you ever have a question, and I'll do my best to help

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Check for air leaks if it won't run with the choke off.

Top Bottom