AATHANAS

Aug 15, 2002
I just came across a ~79 390CR Husky. It is in really good shape. The rear fender is torn off, looks like someone looped out and parked it. My Uncle had it, never rode it (he had it for 6 yrs) and then gave it to me. I plan to ride it. The forks and shocks are blown, but the motor still seems pretty tight. Has anyone came across an old bike like this and tried to get it running again? I have drained the tank (it was empty acturlly), drained and cleaned the carb, and checked for spark (its there, kind of blue-ish, not really a white spark) The bike has tons of compression. But it won't start. Then I got to thinking (a real problem sometimes..) that the seals and gaskets are probably dried out pretty bad on this thing. I live in Alaska, and this rig has sat outside for years. The cold is tough on the seals. Should I just pull it down and redo the seals/gaskets before trying to run it? Would it hurt it to run it after not running for so long? Just wondering if anyone out there has came across something like this and what they did to get their vintage bike going again. We are trying to get a vintage class added to the Alaska MX Series, so I want it to make a full season. Also, any good lines on places for parts for this bike? And last, how do you ID the year....I can't really find much for markings. Thanks!

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
My first guess would be the carb. Take it off, remove the bowl and spray carb cleaner up through the jets to make sure they're not obstructed by varnish from dried up fuel. I've seen that happen over winter to a carb I had. Make sure you get fuel to the bowl while you're at it. I think a blue spark is what you want, but sometimes you can have a weak blue spark instead of a strong blue spark, kinda hard to describe on the keyboard!! Good luck and let me know what you end up doing to get it running again. zumx@aol.com
Roger

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
yeah then theres my favorite all purpose test. Pull the plug, use a funnel to put about 1/4 cup of gas down the plug hole, replace the plug, and kick away.
It may try to start, or even fire up for a few seconds then die.

If it does that, then its a safe bet the carbs the problem.
The main jet's pretty easy to see, but the slow jet or pilot jet is usually recessed up in a "tunnel" and the opening is much smaller.

HobRoff

Sep 10, 2003
Tear it down and rebuild - you have a restoration project on your hands. You'll have to be patient!!! http://www.huskyclub.com/ http://www.vintagehusky.com/ resource links.

AATHANAS

Aug 15, 2002
Hey, thanks for the input. I have a long winter ahead. I'll try cleaning the carb and seeing if it will run, and then tear it down either way. Gaskets and bearings for the engine are ~$90.00, might as well! Thanks.

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
New air filter for sure. This is critical. I don't see that you mentioned it above as things you have done so far. Of course a new spark plug.

I wouldn't tear the engine down if it has decent compression. Take off the pipe and peer into the exhaust port, and you can inspect the piston (to some degree). Look for dark coloring below the ring (s) and wear streaks on the piston itself, indicating a need for a rebuild.

Old big bore 2 stroke Huskys are hard to start. Mine is. Good news is the pistons last a long time because of low rpms. Perhaps just a ring job would be enough.

AATHANAS

Aug 15, 2002
Well, for the air filter, some mouse (or mice) built themselves a nice home in the airbox, so it does need to be replaced. I had it off when I was trying to start it in my garage. I was worried about the main bearing seals more than the rings. Wouldn't want an air leak and have it go lean and have a large solid chunk of motor on my hands!
Also the kill button looks messed up. Guess I'll need a new one. People have told me thos bike always have a messed up kill switch. Our season doesnt start until mid April...so I have dsome time to get ready.

Top Bottom