Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Lately I have noticed that my old KE is burning an excessive amount of tranny oil. It has always burt a little, but this weekend it was burning so much that you could not ride it. By this I mean it would not rev or idle, and since it had so little power in the first place, this posed a very large problem on the up hills. Every time you went down a hill it would flood with oil, and introduce a very effective smoke screen behind me. I am pretty sure that it has a bad crank seal, but i would like to your opinions first. My father has owned it since 1980 so I am absolutly sure that the seals are origenal. Also, it has given so little trouble before now that we have yet to even buy a repair manual, it has NEVER FOULED A PLUG! It is very closely related to the modern KE100 so i would like to hear from you ke owners if you have had a similer with your bikes, and what fixed it. If this is in the wrong forum (and it prbly. is) please feel free to move me. Any info would be much appreciated.

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
i think your right

hey,
the way you describe it as being relatively sudden kind of puzzles me. but i think your absolutely right about it beint the crankshaft seals......when you go to replace them, make sure to do both sides, check adn change the beardings, and while your in there, do the seal between the cases, because this also could be your proplem. good luck
tim

Danny8785

Jul 23, 2001
Thank you for the reassurence. It has been burning a little oil for a couple years now but, after buying my "new" bike I let it sit without starting it for a month or two. My dad decided to go riding with me and my freinds and he rode it, that is when the problems occured. I think that this period of non-running caused the seal (whichever one it is) to finally, completely go. What do you think?

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
yep

makes sense to me...you let the bike sit, the seal dries out and cracks, and then when heated up and stressed it cracks more and lets oil in. prob what happened
tim

daman

Aug 8, 2001
just throw the old bike in th pond or burn it. That was pretty dumb to let it set like that. How stupid can you be. Old thing aint worth a peeny anyway. Piece of junk. Let your butt budie Jason have it. You think he is so perfect anyway. By the way when are you and him going to have a baby. HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! Who will be the mom and who will be the dad???

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
if it's burning tranny oil then it would be the clutch side crank seal. Unless the KE happens to have a dry clutch, which I have yet to see on a dirtbike.

Top Bottom