Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Next week I am picking up two bikes (finally)! After letting the bikes find me, and about 4 years of searching (one missed due to Iraq), I have found two barn bikes that were owned by local fast guys. The 440 is 100% and last ran about 10 years ago. The 400 is a basket. The current owner locked up the 400 tranny and proceeded to completely dissasemble every nut and bolt - both engine and chassis. TVrider, MarkThomps(sp?), and a few other have given me some advise over the years and the best was "let the bike find you". I don't plan to have the 440 up until sometime next year hopefully to celebrate my 50th Bday and race the sucker! Not sure if you fine folks are still there that posted but I'm still interested in any new links or whatever for parts. With luck I'll be at the AMA vintage days.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You'll love the 440, it's one of the best bikes I've ever put my hands on. A pleasure to ride and to work on.

78modcyclepg.jpg

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich, you had to have been jealous of those glorious, curly locks on Vic, eh?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Something like that Pred. :)

ccs

Jan 21, 2008
Is that you and Vic Krause the "know it all guy"?
I think the only picture I ever saw was the top hat shot.

Uchytil,
Great score! Awesome bikes. I sold my 490 back in '96 thinking I'd pick up another Maico in a few years but those few years have turned into 12 with no luck. I've scored several other bikes but no Maico yet.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ccs said:
Is that you and Vic Krause the "know it all guy"?

Yep, that's a picture at a private test track we used to get to ride back in the 70's called "The Farm". The bike is a '78 Maico 440 I built for a cover story that Vic wrote in the Nov 78 issue of Modern Cycle magazine. He and Paul Clipper were contributing editors of the mag back then.

ccs

Jan 21, 2008
Rich Rohrich said:
Yep, that's a picture at a private test track we used to get to ride back in the 70's called "The Farm". The bike is a '78 Maico 440 I built for a cover story that Vic wrote in the Nov 78 issue of Modern Cycle magazine. He and Paul Clipper were contributing editors of the mag back then.

Wow... can you share any of the details on building that bike?
I really need to check your back posts :worship:

And where was "the farm"? It didn't happen to be in Upstate NY did it?

I remember back around 1976 going to a private test track somewhere about an hour or two from here. I'm thinking Troy but I could be way off. Getting up the dirt road without being asked to leave was hit or miss but the older kids were always making roadtrips to try to see what was new.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
ccs, yes that's one sweet build! I've got his pic posted over my workbench as a benchmark for my restore. My 79 has the frame above the rear fender, and the gas tank will require some minor smoothing, but still looks similar to the one posted. I am going to try and find the fork boots used on that 78 for mine as well (among a myriad of other odds and ends). The 400 is being cataloged first since it's already completely apart. I'll probably do that build in a few years. It will need extensive engine work but that's what I live for.

Top Bottom