prater696

Nov 11, 2007
Ok.. where to start.
My best friend had to rebuild his motor and once he thought it was done he test rode it and it only shifted first through third gear which even that was difficult to do.
He followed the manual for putting the transmission and shift forks,etc. back together but obviously somethings not right.
Does anyone have any helpful hints or maybe someone has enough time to go into a little detail to get this thing rolling for a race next weekend?
Anything is appreciated.
~Matt

prater696

Nov 11, 2007
Nevermind... problem solved!?
He found out that the neutral stop spring was upside down and now that he flipped it over it's shifting perfectly.
A note to everyone... If you have to rebuild your motor, make sure the stupidest things are put back in exactly the way they came out.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
prater696 said:
Nevermind... problem solved!?
He found out that the neutral stop spring was upside down and now that he flipped it over it's shifting perfectly.
A note to everyone... If you have to rebuild your motor, make sure the stupidest things are put back in exactly the way they came out.

You can't stress that enough. Attention to the SMALLEST details is what makes or breaks a job.

prater696

Nov 11, 2007
O.k. I suppose I spoke too soon.
Now the thing up shifts fine all the way through fifth gear
but when you start down shifting and get to third it gets stuck... when the motor is turned off, it can go through the gears good.
I'm assuming the shifter arm is just getting hung up some how.
Anyone have any input to add?

1upfront

Nov 13, 2008
prater696 said:
O.k. I suppose I spoke too soon.
Now the thing up shifts fine all the way through fifth gear
but when you start down shifting and get to third it gets stuck... when the motor is turned off, it can go through the gears good.
I'm assuming the shifter arm is just getting hung up some how.
Anyone have any input to add?

I know exactly what it is, your shift shaft has a partial gear built on it's 4 teeth it rides on another gear partial gear built onto the ratcheting mechanism on the end of the shift drum, inside that mechanism are two small plungers with springs behind them replace both plungers and springs and it will fix your problem. They just get worn and bind up.

Top Bottom